Saturday, March 15, 2014

Family Visit

Some of my family came to visit us in January (yes, I'm a little behind blogging about it, but I just got my pictures all sorted out).  My sister-in-law, my niece and my new nephew came.  It was soooo nice to see them!  The last time I saw them was in May of last year.  Well, except for my nephew….this was our first meeting. 
They arrived on a Thursday around lunchtime.  

We stopped for brunch at ‘The Egg and I’.  They make this fantastic egg dish called ‘The Wisconsin Scramble’ (eggs baked with lots of cheese – YUM)  Then we came home and they got settled.  My husband got home around 5:30 with pizza for dinner and flowers for my niece.  She loved them.
Friday, the four of us took the train to Santa Fe.  


We stopped for lunch at Tomasitas, which is right when you step off the train.  I got a veggie quesadilla, which was delicious!  Their sopapillas are the best I’ve had as well.

Then we caught the free shuttle that dropped us off in the Plaza, basically a giant square full of shops.  We ducked into a few of them, and found the toy store I was looking for:
(from Moon Rabbit website)
My niece picked out a stuffed puppy dog and I got a train set for my other nephew (that couldn’t make the trip).  It’s a cute little store.  Overpriced of course (it IS Santa Fe), but they have cute stuff.
Then we went to Dream Cakes Gourmet Cupcakes, which was conveniently located next to an ice cream shop.  Delicious! 
 (from the Dream Cakes website)
I got 'The Cookie Monster'.  It was delicious!
Saturday we went to breakfast (Weckfast!).  It was kind of busy, so my hubby and niece played Candy Crush as we waited for our table:

After breakfast, we went to the mall to take my niece to Build-A-Bear.  It was so fun and cute.  She picked out a puppy dog (of course).  She named her Leah.  The setup there is just so cute and interactive.  Every kid should do it once.



I told her she could pick out an outfit or a doghouse for her dog and she picked the doghouse.  Good choice.  

Then it was back home for dinner and a movie (Mud, which we didn’t finish because we were all about to fall asleep.

Sunday was our last full day.  We went to the zoo!  I had never been to the Albuquerque zoo.  It was nice…not too big, not too small.  





We were able to get through the whole thing in about two hours.  I only wish it had been summer…everything blooms in the summer and actually turns green, especially at the zoo because it is right next to the Rio Grande.  So it was pretty brown.  However, it was beautiful out…sunny and no jackets required!
After we left the zoo we went home for a bit and then drove up to the base of the mountains about 20 minutes before sunset.  You can see the whole city from up there and watching the sunset is beautiful.





It was so nice to have them with us for a few days.

My niece and our little dog Hannah just loved each other.  Hannah followed her everywhere:





The next morning, I dropped them off at the airport and then went to work.  Boy, that was a depressing day!!  I’m so glad we had that time together though.  I am blessed with a great family and the cutest niece and nephews out there. 

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...