Saturday, January 20, 2018

Roi

(apparently I’m titling my blog posts in French now)

We finally bit the bullet (where does that expression even mean, anyways?) and bought a king size bed.  We’ve wanted one for years, but our bedroom in our old house wasn’t large enough for a  King size bed.



Our current bedroom however is much larger.   

So my husband did a BUNCH of research on Consumer Reports (because that’s just who he is, and I love him for it).  We didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars on a mattress.  And they can easily be thousands of dollars.  He compared prices and quality of different brands, discussed it with me, and then we placed an Amazon order.  My main concern with the new bed was I wanted to make sure it would be as tall as our night tables.

We purchased the Sleep Innovations Marley 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress.  It came with a 20-year warranty.  The price?  $425. 

We also purchased the Zinus Quick Snap 18 Inch Platform Bed Frame/Wooden Slat Support, no Bolts or Nuts, Easily Assembly.  Price?  $145.

We also ordered bedding, sheets, and a 100% waterproof mattress protector (a MUST HAVE with animals):  $208

TOTAL:  $778

I think this is pretty unbelievable for an entire king bed, frame, and bedding.  And it was so easy!  We ordered from Amazon and everything came in 3 days (with free shipping since we are Prime members).  Our mattress came in a box about the size of a dishwasher.  We opened it up and put it upstairs in our library for 24 hours (as instructed) to ‘breathe’ and expand.  And my husband put together the frame in like 15 minutes.  I’m not exaggerating.  It was so simple!

We did NOT get box springs.  The mattress did not need them, and the frame we got is 18” high.  We got the taller frame for 2 reasons….I wanted the bed to be at least as high as our night tables, AND it will be sooooo much easier for our dog to get underneath the bed when there are storms.  See:




We’ve been sleeping on the mattress for over a week now.  It’s always a little scary when you order these types of things online without trying them out first.  But so far, so good.  It doesn’t sleep ‘hot’ as some of the memory foam mattresses do (I think the ‘gel’ part is what keeps it cool).  It’s VERY firm which I’m still getting used to.  It doesn’t feel like a bed ha ha.  You lay down and it’s hard as a rock, but then you start to just slowly sink into it and it’s lovely.  My back is feeling much better and I’m sleeping pretty well.

And the size!!!!  I can completely extend my arm to the side and barely touch my husband.  We have so much room!  Hannah has been sleeping all stretched out horizontally between us and she has room to spare by her head and her feet.  Abby just gets lost in the bed and I typically never know where she is.  And Watson stays at the bottom of the bed pretty much, more towards my husband.  I usually can’t tell where he is.  It’s so nice to have the extra space and spread out more.  The difference between a Queen Size and a King Size is unbelievable.

I thought it might make our room look a little smaller with the larger bed, but….no.  We still have plenty of space ha ha.



I also got different curtains.  I didn’t really like the ones I had up there, so I ended up getting the same ones that we have on the other side of the room.  Just simple sheer balloon shades from Target.  I like that you can lengthen them if you want.  I might lengthen the ones above our bed a little since it’s a longer window than the one above the desk.  They’re strictly for looks as they don’t provide any darkening for the room (that’s what the blinds are for).




We gave our old bed (it’s 5 years old maybe?) to my mother-in-law.  And we’re checking to see if anyone wants her old bed, if not, we will dispose of it.  Right now it’s hanging out in the sunroom and Macy (my 15-year-old cat) is having a ball hiding in the rolled up foam topper that was on the bed ha ha.

So anyways….if you do your research (and aren’t too picky and don’t have major sleeping/back issues), buying a bed doesn’t have to cost thousands of dollars any more.  It can come in a box and be delivered right to your doorstep!


20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...