Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Why I Love Weight Watchers

I joined Weight Watchers at the end of February.  Again.  Me and Weight Watchers, well, we have a long history.  I have joined and quit more times in the past 5 years than I care to admit.

But this time, it feels different.  And I've even said that before, but it's never felt like this before.  For starters, I'm not doing it alone.  My mother-in-law joined with me.  I've always done it alone in the past.  It is extremely helpful to have someone to go with.  If I were doing it alone, I could easily talk myself out of going every Thursday.  But knowing that we have a plan and I'm meeting her...well, it's working.  We haven't missed a Thursday yet.

I've lost 12.2 pounds.  And it has not been hard at all.  I know I haven't been at it consistently for that long, but I know the program, and I know it pretty well.

Here's why I love it:

*I have lost weight every single week.  And every single week, we have eaten out at least once (usually twice...once on Thursday, and then once over the weekend).  About every other week we order pizza.  My point is...this does not feel like a typical diet.  And yes, I know, 'it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle'.  Sure. I agree with that to a point...but I AM trying to lose weight.  It's nice to eat pasta when I want pasta!  And when I want chocolate, well, I have it!

*The apps.  When you get the monthly pass at Weight Watchers, the eTools are included.  I have always been a paper and pen tracker, but this time I am only tracking with the app on my phone.

It really gives me no excuse not to track.  I have my phone with me constantly and it's incredibly easy to track what I eat.  And tracking is a MUST with Weight Watchers.  I can't believe what a difference it makes in the decisions I make.

*Because fruits and vegetables are 0 points, I have been eating a lot of them.  More than I ever have.  And, I'm learning to really, really like them!  (Weight Watchers is on to something here...)

*I have cut wayyyyy back on my caffeine intake.  I have one Diet Coke a week now (instead of one or two per day like I used to have).  I never leave home without my water bottle.


*I have been moving more.  I absolutely hate exercising, but I am coming around.  I'm just walking right now, but I'm walking every day.  And (shocker) I have more energy because of it.  I track my steps with my Jawbone wristband and the app that goes with it.


I have a ways to go.  12.2 pounds is just a start.  But it's been enough to keep me motivated and excited about getting healthier!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...