Sunday, November 29, 2015

DIY Starfish Art

Ever since we returned from San Diego a couple of weeks ago, there has been a 'Seaport Village Shell Co.' bag sitting in our guest bedroom.  When we were there, I purchased 5 starfish.  I had no clue what I wanted to do with them, but knew I wanted to display them somehow.

But starfish are tricky...you can't really put them in a jar or stack them.  So I decided I wanted to hang them.

I went to Target tonight in search of a frame.  At first I picked out a shadowbox, but then came across this memo board that I liked MUCH better:

It has a sand colored fabric background, which was perfect.

I then unwrapped my starfish:

I first thought about using my hot glue gun to adhere the starfish to the fabric.  But me plus hot glue guns do not work well together.  Plus I didn't want the glue to squish out the sides.

So I decided on Command Strips:


Both my husband and I have a strong love for Command products for hanging items.  They are sooooo strong and will not ruin your walls.  So I gathered the ones we had and then I started cutting them down to size.



I then adhered a thin Command strip to each leg of each starfish.  I then positioned my stars how I wanted them within the frame.  Then one by one, I peeled off the backing on each of them and stuck down each starfish onto the fabric.  It worked great!  The picture below is the best one that really shows the true colors of the starfish.



And now here is the finished product after my hubby hung it up in our hall bathroom:


I love how it turned out!  I was a little worried about the bottom left star...it definitely stands out the most and I had to scrape some of the pokey stuff (technical term there) from the back side of it to get the Command strips to stick.  But....so far, so good.

This project only took me about 20 minutes.  The memo board was $24.99 at Target and the starfish were $14 total from San Diego.  Not too bad!!!

And that is my DIY project for the year ha ha.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...