Friday, November 30, 2018

November Reads (13)

One star = did not like it at all
Two stars = eh, it was okay
Three stars =  liked it
Four stars = really, really liked it
Five stars = absolutely loved it

1-Star (0)

2-Star (0)

3-Star (2)
***The Way Life Should Be (Fiction, C. Baker Kline)
A nice, easy read about a woman who gets fired from her job in NYC and moves to Maine to figure out what she should do next.  Not a lot of depth here, but the story was nice.

***The End of Your Life Book Club (Non-Fiction, W. Schwalbe)
I don’t know why I keep reading depressing books like this.  This is the story of Will’s (the author) mother’s battle with cancer and they form a book club with just the two of them.  They read and discuss books during her chemotherapy infusions.  L 

4-Star (9)
****Fahrenheit 451 (Fiction, R. Bradbury)
I was never required to read this book in school.  Although I’m thinking it was a banned book at one time?  I don’t recall.  It’s dystopian/sci-fi (although the sci-fi portions were VERY few) about a fireman named Guy Montag.  In this time, firemen START fires.  They’ve never been known to put them out.  When they get a call, they hustle and race and START a fire.  And what do they burn?  Books.  Why?  Knowledge is power.

This book has been analyzed TO DEATH so I’m not going to do that.  I enjoyed it.  A lot.  It made me want to read everything I own and throw out my TV, iPad, and cell phone.  And TIM ROBBINS narrated the audiobook.  Phenomenal.




****The Nature Fix (Non-Fiction, F. Williams)
I think this book may have been a tad better if it was a tad shorter.  But regardless, I learned a TON about how beneficial the outdoors can be.  This book was chock full of scientific studies and facts (presented in an understandable way) about the health benefits of spending time outside (whether it be in a national park or just your backyard), unplugging, and noise pollution (both inside and outside).  I really liked it. 

****Bridge of Clay (Fiction, M. Zusak)
Marcus Zusak wrote the phenomenal book ‘The Book Thief’ years ago….13 years ago I believe.  Or maybe it was 10?  Anyways.  His new book, Bridge of Clay, had very high expectations and a lot to live up to.  And I have to say, it lived up to the hype.  It was excellent.  The story focuses on Clay Dunbar and his 4 brothers.  They are teenagers, they live on their own with no parents (that’s all I’ll say for now), and trying to make it through each day without killing one another.  Oh, and they also have various animals living with them.  Including a mule. 

It’s hard to describe this story without providing spoilers immediately.  Clay is the 2nd to the youngest Dunbar brother and he is a bit different than the most…he has secrets that no one except his father knows.  He has a gift for running.  He falls in love with a girl named Carey, who is an exceptional horse jockey.  And he builds a bridge. 

It’s a story of loss, family, illness, reconnecting, and a mule.  And it’s heartbreaking and delightful at the same time.



****The Hand That First Held Mine (Fiction, M. O’Farrell)
Maggie O’Farrell is my new favorite author.  I’ve read four of her books now, and 2 have been 4-stars, and 2 have been 5-stars.  This one was slow in parts, but the writing was so great and it picked up at the end and had the finish that I like…not too neat and tidy, but still satisfying.

****Winter (Fiction, M. Meyer)
The final in the 4-book Lunar Chronicle series.  It did not disappoint.  However, I REALLY think this book should have been split into two.  It was 800+ pages!  I listened to it on audio, so I flew through it, however I feel like I didn’t get to know Winter’s character very well, because at least ¾ of the book focused on ALL of the characters and then of course the grand finale.  I’m so glad I read this series.  It was out of my comfort zone.  It was the best YA series I’ve read since the Hunger Games!

****Stars Above (Fiction, M. Meyer)
This is a collection of short stories about the Lunar Chronicles.  Most of them are prequels so it was really nice to get some backstories.  The last chapter, however, is 2 years AFTER the Lunar Chronicles, which was a nice surprise.

****A Series of Unfortunate Events #1:  The Bad Beginning (Fiction, L. Snickett)
This young reader series came out when I was 22.  So obviously I never read it as a young reader.  I vaguely remember my oldest nephew reading a couple of them (maybe?).  Anyways…I’m intrigued.  There’s 3 orphans who get sent to live with a distant cousin (a horrible man) and things just go from bad to worse.  And it doesn’t get better!!  So why the four stars?  Because the writing is great, I laughed out loud (as well as gasped) at least once every single chapter, and it’s one of the most original things I’ve read.  So will I continue with the next book?  Most definitely.  I already have it!

****Educated (Non-Fiction, T. Westover)
An almost unbelievable memoir from a 32-year old woman raised in a ‘survivalist’ family in Utah.  No doctors.  No birth certificate.  And NO education.  At all.  This woman had never heard of the Holocaust.  She didn't know what a fraction was.  She didn't know that it was common practice to wash your hands after using the restroom.  The list goes on and on.  But somehow, she managed to escape, go to college and write this book.

****Fairest (Fiction, M. Meyer)
This is a prequel of the Lunar Chronicles.  It tells the story of Queen Levana.  I have to say that after reading this…I do have a *tad* bit of sympathy for her.  Which I NEVER would have thought was possible.  We learn why she becomes so evil.  I LOVED this series.  It was just so fun! Plus...these beautiful books and their beautiful covers!!!




5-Star (2)
*****Cress (Fiction, M. Meyer)
Book 3 of the Lunar Chronicles.  Cress (Rapunzel) is a prisoner of the queen and has been trapped in her satellite orbiting the earth for 7 years.  She has had no contact with other people, until she intercepts a communication from another ship.  From there, she ends up helping Cinder, Scarlet, Wolf, Thorne and others in their attempt to overthrow the Lunar Queen.  They are all torn apart in different directions (and paired off not how you would expect).  It was cool to see how they interacted with each other in different settings (earth, space, the moon, etc.).  This was my favorite one of the series.  Loads of action.  Plus, I listened to it and it just flew by (it’s a huge book).  And it was fun to hear Scarlet’s accent (she’s from France).  It’s just such a fun series!  I loved it.



*****Anne Frank’s Diary: The Graphic Adaptation (Non-Fiction, A. Folman)
I saw this at Barnes and Nobel and am SO GLAD I picked it up.  This graphic novel is an absolute masterpiece.  The beautiful illustrations are both humorous and haunting.  Anne’s feelings and fears about life and war and her relationship with her parents are portrayed in a way we’ve never seen before.  This book is a gem.



Total Books Read: 13 (4 non-fiction, 9 fiction)

Formats
Kindle: 
Audio: 10         
Real Books: 3

DNF (Did Not Finish) 2:

Small Wonder (B. Kingsolver) – again…too preachy. We are ruining the earth.  I get it.
Emma in the Night (W. Walker) – too dysfunctional and not interesting  

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...