Tuesday, April 16, 2019

March Reads (7)



Two stars = eh, it was okay
Three stars =  liked it
Four stars = really, really liked it
Five stars = absolutely loved it

1-Star (0)

2-Star (1)
***The River (Fiction, P. Heller)
This book had so much potential.  Two college friends take a canoeing trip in Canada, and along the way they find themselves dodging forest fires and crazy people.  This book reminded me a lot of the movie The River Wild.  Only it was SO BORING.  Up until the last 20 pages or so.  The descriptions of the forest, the water, the fishing, the equipment used (which was noted by brand name even), just went on and on and on.  The last 20 pages were completely amazing and it’s just a shame that the whole book couldn’t have been that way.  Peter Heller has the writing chops, he just didn’t use them in the first 90% of this book.

3-Star (4)
***The German Girl (Fiction, L. Correa)
I would have liked this book more if it didn’t feel like a YA.  And don’t get me wrong, I love a good YA book, but this one was not YA….yet it felt like it.  I hope that makes sense though.  But it gets all 3 stars for mentioning JWs multiple times and the suffering they endured during WWII along with the Jews.

***A Beautiful Mystery (Fiction, L. Penny)
This one was a little slow for me, but still a good read.

***A Faithful Place (Fiction, T. French)
Another good one.  It seemed to drag in certain places, but I still totally enjoyed it.

***Spineless (Non-Fiction, J. Berwald)
Too much memoir.  I learned a lot about these amazing creatures, but I found the authors memoir portions of this book ruined the flow of this book.

4-Star (2)
****A Trick of the Light (Fiction, L. Penny)
I love these books, even the mediocre ones.  I love Inspector Gamache and his deadpan humor (which really comes through on the audiobooks).  I want to live in Three Pines!  Actually…I don’t.  Lots of bad things happen there.

****Outer Order Inner Calm (Non-Fiction, G. Rubin)
I am a fan of Gretchen Rubin and her books.  While this one was sparse on content (it more like each page had it’s own ‘tip’), it was still really good.  She really focused on how if things at work and home are orderly, you will feel calm on the inside.  She also stressed that there is no right way to declutter and organize…you do what works for you.  A quick read.

5-Star (0)

Total Books Read: 7 (5 fiction, 2 non-fiction)

DNF (Did Not Finish) :
The Terror (not good)

Crazy Rich Asians (a younger friend of mine – 16 – told me I “must” read this book….I tried, I really did, but it’s just nonsense.  I think I gave it 30 pages.)

Renegades (I had high hopes for this one because Marissa Meyer wrote the Lunar Chronicles series I loved so much last year…but I couldn’t get into this one)

Killers of the Flower Moon (I made it more than halfway but I found it incredibly boring)

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...