Sunday, June 21, 2015

Day 1 - London

Okay so I had planned on blogging the first night we arrived, but that just didn't happen.  I also plan on blogging about our flight and why we upgraded, but I'll do that at the end of this trip.

Anyways, our flight was AMAZING, even though neither one of us slept.  We arrived at London Heathrow early.  It was a HUGE pain hauling our luggage around to buy a tube card (the underground) and then getting to our hotel (I'll blog about the hotel later).  I'm sure there was an easier way to do it, but oh well.  We got to our hotel and showered then immediately went out again.  The best way to fight jet lag is to stay awake until local bedtime.

So that's what we did!

We took about a 10 minute walk to Buckingham Palace.




It was cool.  It looked exactly like it does in pictures ha ha.  Then we walked around St. James Park, which is right across from the palace.  It was so beautiful!









After we walked through the gardens, we decided to find Big Ben.  We got our bearings, and found it!  But we also managed to walk through a political protest going on.  That certainly explained all of the helicopters flying above. 






But, we made our way through the crowds, heard Big Ben chime at 4:00, and then ran into some witnesses doing public witnessing with the carts!  They were so nice.  We chatted with them for a while, and then went to dinner. 

It was a place called Bag of Nails.  It was pretty good, but overall I've been underwhelmed with the food in London.  Which is not a big surprised.  England is not known for their fine food.

We had fish and chips and shepherd's pie:


After dinner we walked back to our hotel and forced ourselves to stay up a bit longer.  My husband made it until 7:00 p.m. and I made it until 8:00 p.m.  And then we proceeded to sleep for 12 straight hours.  It was great!

We woke up feeling like brand new people.  And that was our first day in London!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...