Sunday, May 24, 2015

Tidying Up: Master Bathroom (and products I love)

Our master bathroom is the only room in the house that hasn’t been redone in some form.  If we ever move, we will have some work to do in this room.  But for now….it doesn’t bother me.  It is what it is, and no one ever sees it except my husband and I (well, until now when I blog about it ha ha).  Everything is kind of mismatched (including our towels), but that’s okay.  The bathroom serves it’s purpose.  As long as it’s clean, I don’t mind that it has some issues ha ha.
It has a very large shower (no tub), a vanity, toilet, and some built in shelving.  I re-vamped the room and cleaned a bunch of stuff out.  I was pretty ruthless.
I am NOT a ‘product’ girl.  I used to think I was, but I am not.  In the shower, I use:


1.    Kirkland brand moisturizing shampoo from Costco.  Don’t knock it until you try it.  Since using this shampoo I have not had to use conditioner AT ALL. My hairdresser still can’t believe it.  I told her to try it ha ha.  The best part?  It’s 9.99 for a gigantic bottle.  My hair is in great shape.
2.
    
        Sonia Kashuk Pink Inocencia Exfoliating Body Polish.  This is probably my one ‘splurge’ (although not really…it’s only $8 on Amazon ha ha).  I HAVE to use an exfoliator year round.  And this one by Sonia Kashuk is amazing and my skin smells good for hours and hours afterwards and is sooooo soft.

3.    Bodywash.  I buy whatever is on sale and/or whatever I have a coupon for.  I try to buy ‘unisex’ scents since I refuse to buy one body wash for my husband and one for me.  We share.  Right now it’s this big bottle of Olay.  I believe I paid $1.49 for it (after coupons, cartwheel, and red card discounts).
That’s it for the shower.  For my other ‘everyday’ uses, here’s a couple other things I love:
3      Simple Skincare Micellar Cleansing Water.  I’ve only been using this for a short while, but I love it so far.  Basically it’s water enhanced with lots of multivitamins and other good things for your skin.  It’s very hydrating for your skin.  I apply a bit to a cotton pad and put it on first thing in the morning.  It also can be used as a makeup remover, but I only use it in the morning BEFORE I put on makeup.  It’s really helped my dry skin.

5     Neutrogena Healthy Defense moisturizer.  My dermatologist recommended this to me years ago and I’ve been using it ever since as my daily moisturizer.  I get the SPF 50, which is extremely important where I live.  My face is protected from the sun in this high elevation pretty much 24/7.

6      True Blue self-tanning lotion from Bath & Body Works.  I have tried EVERY self-tanning product out there.  I am a white, white girl living in New Mexico, so believe me….my whiteness stands out even more here than it did in Nebraska.  And this tanning lotion really helps.  It doesn’t stink, it goes on smoothly, and in the 2+ years that I’ve been using it, it’s always blended very nicely.  I’ve never had blotches.  I use it in the spring and summer 2-3 times per week.  And I promise I am never orange.  In fact, I am still really white, but not AS white after I use this.

8    Nail polish.  I was ruthless in cleaning out my nail polish stash.  I had tons of colors that I never used, all kinds of base coats, top coats, strengthener, etc.  You would think I painted my nails all the time.  Ha!  I NEVER paint my fingernails.  Ever. (although I’m thinking about getting a gel manicure before we go on vacation this summer).  My toenails are ALWAYS painted though.  I only get maybe one pedicure per month in the spring and summer months (if that), and in between, I do my own.  You would think I was a professional with all the stuff I had.  Nope.  I always reach for the same TWO bottles.  They are both ‘Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure’.  Basically, it’s one bottle of polish that is EVERYTHING…base coat, color, top coat, etc.  And I’ve been using them for years and they WORK.  My toe polish stays on forever.  In fact, when I change the polish it’s not because it’s chipped it’s because I’m tired of the color and want a change.  This stuff works.  So I kept those two bottles, ditched everything else, and then bought two more bottles at Target.  That’s plenty! (they run $8-$9 per bottle).


    Here are the 'afters' after tidying up our bathroom:





Nothing fancy, but it's clean and clutter free....that's all I care about!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...