Sunday, May 24, 2015

Gathering

I was originally going to title this post ‘Packing’, but it’s not really packing yet, it’s ‘Gathering.’  
We are less than a month away from our trip.  My lists are crazy.  I truly believe I need to start getting things together NOW and not wait until the week before we leave to start packing and getting things together.
I thought I would start putting everything on my ‘Belgium’ shelf (which I blogged about a while ago), but it quickly became too small, so I did some rearranging, and basically cleared the shelf completely.
But within a couple of weeks, the shelf looked like this:



Yikes.  And because I am me, I couldn’t just leave it like that.  That would be a travesty!
I gathered some empty bins and baskets that I had on hand and put them to work. 

I took everything off the shelf and dumped it on the bed.

  
I sorted everything.  I made piles:  toiletries, carry on items, husband's items, things I'm not sure I'm bringing yet, and things that will go in my luggage.  And then I put everything into the appropriate places.  Toiletries went into the bathroom bags, carry on items went into my two carry ons:


Everything else went into bins that I will pack when the trip gets closer.

I also have a bin just for empty bottles that I will fill pretty soon.


As I add items, I put a checkmark next to them on my master packing list within my Europe notepad.  That way I know I have it on the shelf already.  Obsessive?  Maybe.  But it helps my anxiety about packing and not waiting until the last minute.


As I continue to gather, I can just toss the items into the appropriate bin.  I’m hoping this will save some time when I actually pack!
I am also starting to get my clothes ready.  I only need a couple more things from Old Navy, and one more pair of shoes.  And then my clothes will be ready.  But other than my jeans and a couple of skirts, I am starting to wash everything and hang it on the way left side of the closet.  I won’t wear anything before the trip.  Some people might think this is nuts too, but again….it helps me.  Do you know how incredibly fast these next 4 weeks are going to go?  


So that’s my process.  I will continue to add to my shelf while getting other stuff around the house done before we leave.  We will be incredibly busy until then and I don’t want to get burned out before we leave.  Being organized helps keep me sane!


20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...