Tuesday, May 21, 2013

On Loss & Retail Therapy


I had a rough day today.  Sometimes I will go for days (even weeks) without having a rough day, and then other days (like today), they just knock the wind out of me.  It takes me a while to recover.

I lost my best friend.  Hopefully it’s only temporary.  Hopefully I will get her back soon.

Some days I do pretty good with it (or as my French friend Michele would say ‘pretty and good’….she thought this was the expression instead of ‘pretty good’…so cute!).  But other days, it knocks me flat off my feet.  I wake up angry.  And sad.  But mostly angry.

I hope that with time my anger begins to fade.  I hope that someday things will get back to the way they used to be.  I hope.

Usually some retail therapy helps me on these rough days.  I think it’s because it’s a distraction.  But I can’t just go anywhere….it has to be like a bookstore, or a store like Anthropologie or Francesca’s.

Today over my lunch break I hit two out of the three.  I dropped into Francesca’s to look at their handbags.  I have been looking for months for a new one.  And I can ALWAYS find a bag I love at Francesca’s.  Always. 

Today was no different:



It’s not me (I don’t usually do ‘shiny’), but I love the springy color and the shape and the size, and yes, even the shiny.

After that, I headed to Barnes and Noble to pick up the brand new fiction (although semi-autobiography) book by one of my favorite actresses:



Lauren Graham.  She’s amazing.  I love her in everything.  She said in an interview that Diane Keaton told her she should write a book, so she did.  Ha ha.  I hope it’s good.



I hope that my little day of retail therapy will help.  I hope my rough days become farther apart.  Time does amazing things….I hope it will work its magic on me.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...