Monday, July 21, 2014

Iced Coffee

When we were in Tucson for our convention, my husband had to be there by 7:00.  He was an attendant.  So my mother-in-law and I would take care of the dogs, get ready, eat breakfast and then head out around 8:30 or so.  We would stop at Starbucks to get coffee for us and to bring my husband an iced coffee.

I think that was his inspiration when he bought this on Amazon a couple of weeks ago:


It is a brewing system for iced coffee.  I used to think that iced coffee was made by just making regular coffee, letting it cool and then pouring it over ice.  I was wrong.  The Pioneer Woman has an iced coffee brew recipe on her site, and I did try it once.  Honestly, the coffee turned out great the brewing was a HUGE pain.  I only ever did it that once.

This system is soooo much easier.

Basically, you put coffee and water into this white thing (very technical):


There is a filter in the bottom of it and a stopper, but those come into play later.  I won't get into the measurements and all of that because my husband did all of this and I wasn't paying attention.

When you're done adding your ground coffee (we used Dunkin Donuts) and filtered water, it should look kind of sludgy like this:


Then you put it in the fridge and let it do it's thing for 12 - 24 hours (the longer, the stronger).

Then you take it out of the fridge and pull the plug out of the bottom and let it filter into the glass carafe provided:


What is filtered out is a concentrate.  You use one part concentrate to two parts water/ice, etc.

It can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.

It turned out so good!  The Toddy system is rated high on Amazon and we have since found out that it is the cold brew system of choice of many coffee shops.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...