Monday, August 18, 2014

Reclaiming My House - Project #7 - The Junk Drawers

I was in project mode this past weekend – woo hoo! 
First I tackled the junk drawers.  I am a firm believer that every home should have at least one junk drawer.  Our home has two.  We have one in the kitchen and one in the laundry room.  They contain batteries, tape measures, extra bells (long story), pool keys, extra car keys, Command hooks, little flashlights, etc.  All of those things that we need from time to time that don’t really have anywhere else to go.
However, ours were a mess (as junk drawers tend to be).  I went to Home Goods and picked up two packs of these little drawer organizers ($6.99 each).  

I pulled everything out of each drawer, wiped the drawer down, got rid of any trash, and consolidated like items. 
Before (kitchen junk drawer):

After:

Before (laundry junk drawer):

After:

This took me maybe 20 minutes tops.  I did not get obsessive about the ‘junk’ and didn’t get rid of much.  That’s why we have junk drawers – we need a place for this stuff.  Speaking of ‘stuff’, I think we should rename junk drawers STUFF drawers.  Because junk is junk and should be thrown out.  And stuff in our junk drawers – I mean STUFF drawers – is clearly useful.  Especially batteries.  Who’s with me?

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...