Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Day in the Life - February 24, 2015

Today was a particularly busy day….I usually have a day like this once a week.  If every day was like this, I would go nuts.
I woke up at 5:45, got ready for work, made our lunches and left for work.  I got to work around 6:45. 
6:45 – 10:30 – work.  I did a bunch of research on atelectasis (collapsed lung) for an appeal I have to write.  Then I spent about an hour looking for particular cancer infusion drugs and injections on a handful of accounts.  I spent about 30 minutes trying to find an echocardiogram result from 3 years ago (I found it…filed electronically within the account in the WRONG place by the nurse….thank you nurse.  Ugh.).
10:30 – I took a break and copied and pasted the French TMS into the English TMS that my sweet Dad sent me.  It is a lifesaver!  I emailed it to my husband and mother-in-law so we are ready to go for meeting tomorrow night.
11:30 – I left for lunch.  My gas light was on so I stopped to get gas first.  Then I dropped off our monthly Homeowners Association dues check to the clubhouse of our condo park.  Then I checked the mail.  When I got home, I FREAKED out because usually when I come home, I am greeted by two dogs (Watson and Hannah) right by the door, and one dog who is whining in our bedroom.  Today, I walked in and….nothing.  Crickets.  Silence.  I crept into the dining room and saw Watson on the couch.  Once he realized I was there, he perked right up and got his lazy self off the couch to say hello.  But…no Hannah.  I called her and called her and NOTHING. Panic.  So then, I went to the bedroom and the gate was up (to keep Abby contained) and I peered over the gate and there was Hannah and Abby both just staring up at me wagging their little tails.  My husband left Hannah back in the bedroom on purpose to keep Abby company.  That’s fine (Hannah probably loved it because she got to sleep on our bed all day), but jeepers!  I took them outside to do their business.  I fed Abby (she needs fed like 4-5 times per day until she’s about a year old).  I grabbed my grocery list that I had forgotten this morning.  I then rooted around for something in the fridge to throw in my lunch bag, but there wasn’t anything quick and I didn’t feel like making a sandwich or soup. So I had frozen waffles with peanut butter and grabbed a yogurt and an apple for the road.  I put Abby back in the bedroom and was on my way.
I headed back to work and admired the pretty mountains along the way.  It’s cold here and it actually snowed for like 2 minutes today so the mountains were all misty.  I KNEW we weren’t done with winter.  Spring teased us with about 3 weeks of 60-70 degree weather.  Although I still shouldn’t complain…the average temperature for the rest of the week is the mid-50s, with some possible rain.

12:15 – back at work.  I spent about 5 minutes updating our YNAB app on my ipad and reconciling our bank statement.  It only took 5 minutes because I did it yesterday as well.  I had to enter our receipt from Costco last night and a couple of other things.
12:20 – 2:00 – started researching the coding sequence for pancreatitis and cholelithiasis (one of the most confusing aspects of coding in my opinion).  I returned a few emails and emailed one of our vendors because their website was giving me fits and I couldn’t get into a particular audit that I needed.  I started cleaning out my email a bit and got it down to only 10 emails in my Inbox (I only keep ‘active’ emails in my Inbox…ones I am still working on ).  If I’m done working on it, I either delete it or I save it to a folder.  I try not to have more than 30 active emails at one time.  And I work in date order (oldest first), so right now I am on 2/17.  Not bad!
2:00 – 3:15 – updated our Home Health audits.  I only do this about once a month because there are never many updates and it’s easier to update them all at once than update them as they come in.  Glad it’s done (it’s kind of a pain).  Went downstairs to check our mail box.  It was full.  I check it once every couple of days.  It’s usually just audit and appeal results.  Cleaned up my desk, shut down my computer and left at 3:15.
3:15 – Target.  Got everything on my grocery list and then some.  After Target I stopped at Whole Foods.  We were out of aloe vera juice.  We give it to our 19 year old kitty at least twice a day.  It helps keep her....regular.  Then I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up some meds.  We get all but one of our prescriptions at Target, but this particular one Target doesn't carry, so I have to go to a separate pharmacy.  
5:45 - Finally get home.  Take the dogs out first, then unload the groceries from the car and start to put everything away.  Husband got home around 6:00.  He fed the dogs while I started dinner.
6:45 - Dinner.  Tacos, beans and rice.  It was really good!
6:45 - 10:00 - Finished dinner, watched two episodes of Parks & Rec from last week, watched the Big Bang Theory from last week, cleaned up the kitchen, started the dishwasher, and then settled in from 9:00 - 10:00 to watch the series finale of Parks & Rec.  I cried.  More than once.  Oh my.  It was so good.
10:00 - 10:30 - Took the dogs out, medicated the cats, took Benadryl because I had been sneezing all night and finally got into bed.
Whew.  Thankfully, not every day is this busy.  However, it's CRAZY unusual for me to sit down and watch more than an hour of television.  But i had planned for it tonight all because of Parks and Rec.  I'd been looking forward to it for some time!  It did not disappoint.
And that was my February 24, 2015.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...