Monday, February 2, 2015

Maximizing Benefits

I’m not sure what spurred me to look into this subject a bit more, but today, I did.
I work at a large health care facility in New Mexico.  I’ve been here for almost 5 years.  In the past year or so, there has been a HUGE focus on Employee Wellness.  So much that this year, one of our ‘goals’ had to be wellness related.  They are trying their hardest to get us healthy!  Because really, it helps them too.  The healthier we are, the less the health insurance costs for the company.  It makes sense. 
I spent over an hour pouring through the company Wellness website and seeing what was out there.  I was familiar with a lot of the benefits already, but also found lots of new things. 
Here’s some highlights and a few things I am definitely going to take advantage of:
1.  Weight Watchers.  This year, they are offering Weight Watchers at work for FREE.  I was able to switch my current membership to a FREE membership.  I will be able to have my weekly weigh-in and attend meetings at work for free.  BUT, I can also continue to go to meetings with my husband at another Weight Watchers location.  My membership covers that too, which is awesome.  This will save us $43 per month.
2.  Gyms.  We have a gym here in the building that I work, which is most likely the one I will continue to use.  But, we also have satellite gyms run by my company, as well as completely separate gyms (like Defined Fitness) that I have a free membership too through work.  I looked up the class schedule at some of the satellite gyms (the closest one is 10 minutes from home), and found a couple of classes that will work with my schedule:  Ab Express from 5:30 – 6:00 on Mondays and Fridays, and Yoga from 6:30 – 7:45 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Again….all free.
3.  Webinars and Classes.  There is a whole database full of free webinars and classes that I can sign up for, on a wide variety of subjects.  I printed off the schedule for the year and have signed up for the following classes/webinars:  Budgeting (we have no plans to switch from YNAB, but I figured they may have some new tips or ideas), Healthy Lifestyle, Sun Safety, Pack a Healthy Lunch, Mindful Living, Practical Ways to Stay Safe, Estate Planning & Essential Documents, Unplug to Recharge, Stick With it, and Mindful Approach to Sleep Issues.   Quite the variety, huh?  These are all webinars held over the lunch hour and I can listen in from my desk.  Nice!!  And free.
There are TONS more perks here at work.  When they built this new building at work, they had our wellness in mind.  There is a one mile walking trail around the building.  There are motivational quotes all over the building (including the stairwells):


They have a salad bar punch card program at work.  There are always vegetarian options.  There are complimentary fruit days all the time where the Wellness committee will come to our desk with a basket of fruit and we can pick a piece.  (I'm not kidding).  Once or twice a year the Wellness committee gives out water bottles and pedometers just for the heck of it.  It's the little things, you know?
In a way, I am kicking myself for not taking full advantage of all of these benefits sooner.  But I'm also proud of myself for researching everything now and getting started.  Better late than never, right?

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...