Saturday, February 28, 2015

Tidying Up: The Pet Stuff

When we got Abby a week ago, the amount of our pet-related items increased (and believe me, it was already a lot).  I had a sad little system before of keeping everything organized, but it began to fail very quickly:


I had a couple of baskets to contain coats, sweaters, jackets, t-shirts, harnesses, leashes, poop bags, flashlights, etc.  I was tired of digging through everything.

I kind of had an idea of what I wanted to fix the problem.  Something vertical with OPEN compartments.  I looked at our budget and decided I could spend $40.  So off to Ross I went, and I swear, right when I walked in, I saw EXACTLY what I was looking for.  And the price?  $39.99.  I brought it home and filled it up immediately.

Here it is:


The bottom basket holds Hannah's stuff (folded the Kondo way!) - 


The middle basket holds Abby's stuff:


And the top basket holds leashes, extra poop bags, and flashlights:


I love it and it's working out very well so far.  I put Watson's coat (which he never wears) and a few other extra items in this chest on the other side of the fireplace:


The extra baskets that I was previously using I set aside....I will probably use them in our bathroom.

So much better!  It's not the prettiest thing to look at (tons of bright pink clothes, poop bags and flashlights out in the open) but I knew that if I got something with 'closed' storage, like a lid you have to open, I would get frustrated and wouldn't use it.  These days, I am all about functionality before prettiness.  Our animals are a big part of our lives, and we use this stuff every single day.  So functionality definitely wins with this project.


Funny side note...as I was filling this thing up, my sister called me and asked me what I was doing and I started laughing and said 'folding dog clothes!'.....it was a Friday night and I was folding dog clothes ha ha.  Oh well.  We had a good laugh.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...