Saturday, February 28, 2015

Tidying Up: The Garage

A couple of Sundays ago, we decided to clean out the garage.  We slept in a bit, and then got started.  We cleaned it out big time.  We threw out 3 bags of trash, and added to our ever growing Goodwill and garage sale pile.  Sadly, I did not take before photos.  Only afters.  I'm pretty bad about that.
Our garage consists of four main areas: The left shelving, the upper shelving, the closet, and the right bookshelves. 
The left shelving:

The left side shelving is where all of my husband’s tools are, painting supplies, garden supplies, and other household supplies.  This is also where we keep our surplus paper items from Costco (TP, paper towels, Clorox wipes, etc.).  This is the area of the garage we use the most.  I have GOT to rip the label off of our garbage can.  I just now noticed it in this picture.
The upper shelving:
The upper shelving consists of a few bins of mementos, some photos, childhood mementos, luggage, and our empty electronic boxes.  We also have one full plastic bin of wires and cables.  Kind of random.  I LOVE that shelving, it is a lifesaver!
The closet:
In the closet are a couple of garment bags where we store our heavy winter coats (which have not seen the light of day in years).  The flooring of the closet consists of space heaters, fans, golf clubs, and a couple of extra chairs.  It's a nice sized closet.
The right bookshelves:
The right side bookshelves/filing cabinets are full of law-related items that my husband is required to keep for 7 years (documents from when he had his own business).  So we didn’t really go through those, just cleaned them up a bit.
Oh, and we also designated a spot for our Emergency backpacks and supplies (to the right of the bookshelves.  They are full and ready to go. 
It looks so much better!  It feels ‘lighter’.  It is our goal to always be able to park BOTH of our vehicles in there at all times with room to spare.  So far, so good.  I think the yearly purges definitely help!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...