Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Catch Up, Part 2

Our life lately is so busy it's hard to describe.  I keep telling myself that 'next month' will be better.  But 'next month' is never less busy.  If anything, things are always picking up.

So I'm going to attempt to do another 'catch-up' blog while my computer is already on and running.

*March.  In March I was sick.  For a few days.  Ick. I saw Beauty and the Beast twice.  I was looking back on my phone for pictures (to see what we actually did in March) and we were so busy that I only took like 5 pictures.

*April was crazy.  Crazier than March.  Our French Memorial came and went.  Then a Circuit Assembly.  Then we had some health issues (we're fine).  Then hubby and I celebrated 7 years of marriage. We went to Truth or Consequences (known around here as 'T or C').  We went to Elephant Butte Lake.  It was very nice and low-key and perfect.  



*May.  My work picked up...not necessarily in volume, but in responsibility.  Communicating with physicians.  Educating others on audits.  More writing.  More researching.  More meetings.  I got promoted, which was nice.  It's been a long-time coming!  Our service dog also officially graduated.  We are so proud of him!  I saw Guardians of the Galaxy twice.  I don't know why I keep seeing movies twice ha ha.  We lost a very dear friend.  I think about her every day.  We prepped our house to sale.  The pictures were taken and 3D virtual tour filmed yesterday.  It will go on the market tomorrow (I think).  We started our 'official' French class.  

When I think of WHY we are so busy, it is mostly spiritual things (French, service, assignments, hubby has a LOT of responsibility both locally and beyond).  Which is good.  But it's also house stuff, work, and just everyday life.  Errands.  Appointments.  

But mostly, it's French.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE our French group.  We are a family.  I mean that 100%.  A true family.  But I NEVER thought it would be as time consuming as it is.  And it seems like the more we get into it, the more time consuming it is (we are in year 4).  My husband usually has a part each week.  I usually have one at least every 3 weeks, sometimes more if I am asked to fill in for someone.  The studying is time-consuming.  Preparing comments is time-consuming.  Everything takes at least 3 times as long as it does in English.  The reason I had my computer open tonight is because I was helping my husband translate his part (a 10 minute part) for tomorrow night.  There are just so many little rules an things you have to think about when translating.  Like the word face.  In English, we use the word face for many different meanings but it's the same word.  You have something on your face.  You are going to face a challenge.  You are getting your cabinet re-faced.  One word, multiple meanings.  If you type in 'face' into Google Translate (don't ever use Google Translate, I beg of you), it comes up with the word face (pronounced 'foss').  But that word in French means to 'face something head on'.  The word for your actual FACE on the front of your head that includes your eyes, nose, mouth, etc. is 'visages' (VEE-SOJ).  Yep.  So when translating something like 'look at their faces in the picture', you have to use 'visages' instead of 'face'.  That's just ONE little example of things to think about.

And sentence structure....oh my.  Totally different.

One of our recommended reading articles for our French homework this week had a whole paragraph on how things can't be translated word for word in any language.  That's not how it works.  The examples it gave were really good and really shows how you can't plug something in to a translating site and expect it to come out perfectly.  It will make no sense.  Google is not that smart!

Our Saturdays are full for the next 18 weeks.  Yep.  French class is from 10:00 - 12:00.  Then service right afterwords.  Then French meeting from 4:00 - 6:00.  On Sundays we usually clean, get groceries, and try to get ready for the week ahead.  But 18 weeks of class.  Homework.  Studying.  At orientation they told us we would each be writing a story.  They said we needed a quiet place to study.  They said this is a big commitment.

All of this while trying to sell two houses and buy one, working full-time, etc.

But....I wouldn't change any of it.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  It's sooooo totally worth all of the time and effort it takes.  I can't imagine life without our French family.  It would feel empty.  It's worth the extra time and the crazy Saturdays and the feeling of panic when you raise your hand on the fly without completely knowing what you're going to say in French.  It's worth it!!!

I am hoping to post more (I always hope!) and most likely it will be 'French heavy' because, well, that is our life right now.  And I blog about life.  

That's it for now...it's past my bedtime and I still have about 30 minutes worth of chores to do.  :)  

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...