Sunday, September 17, 2017

Upstairs Downstairs

So....we moved.

I had written out this big long post about moving like a month ago but it was basically 6 pages of me whining about how stressful moving is.  Ha ha.  But really....it's the most stressful thing I've ever done.  Within six weeks, we put 2 houses on the market (both sold within 6 days), and we bought another one and  moved in.  In SIX WEEKS.  Two households into one house.  Five dogs.  Two cats.  Three people.  SIX WEEKS.  I know other people have done it quicker than that, but oh my.  Six weeks from the time the 'for-sale' sign went up to the time we spend our first night in our new house.  Yikes.

It's going really, really well.  We've been here for two months.  We have some big projects coming up (a small addition), so I've been trying to get everything unpacked and set up how I want it before then.  So far, so good.  In fact, as of today I'd say I'm about 95% done!  It's a good feeling.  The dining room (my nemesis) is officially unpacked. It became a dumping ground, because it's kind of the gateway from the kitchen to the front room to the upstairs, etc.  So I still had boxes of random things I didn't know what to do with in there.  Not anymore!  

Also, the front bedroom (aka the forgotten room...more on that later) is almost done.  We decided to make it into the gym.  Long story...for another blog post.  But it's cleared out and the bike and TV are in there...all it's missing is the treadmill, which takes some coordination and much more muscle than I have!  

I initially was going to do a room-by-room post of our house, but I got overwhelmed thinking about it, so I decided to just randomly blog and if I remember to take pictures of the room, I will and I'll post them.

So we moved to a house that has an upstairs.  This is a first for me!  Upstairs is our master bedroom/bath/closets and a library.  And a built-in desk/office at one end of our bedroom (where I'm sitting right now!)

I discovered that I was CONSTANTLY forgetting things from upstairs that needed to be taken downstairs, and forgetting things downstairs that needed to be taken upstairs.  And I REFUSE to have a constant pile of stuff on the stairs.  No way.  

So upstairs, I made this:




Anything that needs to go downstairs goes in here.  Easy-peasy.

And downstairs, I made this:


This is on the end of one of our kitchen counters.  The left basket is stuff my husband needs to deal with.  The right basket contains anything that needs to go upstairs.  I can just grab what's in there on my way up.  So far, so good.

It's just little things like this that I never thought of before that keep coming up. But trust me, after climbing the stairs 20+ per day on the weekend, this new system has REALLY come in handy!

And just for good measure, here's a picture of part of our laundry room.  The washer and dryer are on the opposite wall.  This wall is our freezer, plus a table with the cat food on it.  The only dog that has access to this table is Abby, because she can climb the stairs.  Every night, I feed the cats their wet snack and every night Abby patiently waits for the leftovers.  I usually try to intervene and take the bowls away before she gets up there, but she is sneaky.  (She has no interest in their dry food that is left out daily, thank goodness).



And one more....this.  This is consuming my life right now.  But, we only have a few more weeks of class.  It is HARD.  It's killing me.  I'm being dramatic.  But it is really hard.


That's all for now my friends.  More completely random blog posts coming your way soon!!



20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...