Friday, December 28, 2018

2018 Reading Recap & Favorites

2018 was a big reading year for me.  And I realize that the year isn't over yet, but I had a chance to blog today and I don't think I'll be finishing up any more books before the year ends.  

So, I present to you, my book stats for 2018:

Total books read:  158 (!)
Fiction:  117
Non-Fiction:  41

This is not surprising...I always read way more fiction than non-fiction.

I read quite a few 4 and 5 star reads this year.  I won't break it down for you, because not everyone is a statistics nerd like I am (and I'm lazy).  But I read more 4 and 5 star books this year than I did last year.

Here are my favorite ADULT FICTION reads of the year:


Maggie O'Farrell is my new favorite author.  Her books are just consistently good!

And the other four books just STUCK with me.  Especially the two on the bottom, the Great Alone, and Us Against You (the sequel to Beartown).  Both made my cry.  In a good/bad way.

And a 4-star book that I keep thinking about that I should have given 5-stars:


This book about mental health was way ahead of it's time.

I had some nice re-reads of the year as well:  Anne of Green Gables, Old Man and the Sea, and Lord of the Flies to name a few.

Here were my favorite NONFICTION reads:


Quite a mixed bag with non-fiction.  A memoir, a graphic novel, a book about Danish people, and a book that makes me laugh just THINKING about it (it will definitely be a re-read).


My favorite Children's book of the year:


It's such a charming book. 

And finally, my favorite YA book of the year (not so charming...much darker, but wonderful):


Along with the entire Lunar Chronicles series!

It was a great reading year.  I'll be doing another post in the next few days about my 2019 reading goals.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...