Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Year of Many Doctor's Appointments




This year was an interesting year medically for me.  I had surgery in February.  Because of that surgery, I met my yearly out-of-pocket maximum amount that I had to pay for my insurance.  Which I believe was either $2,500 or $3,000.  I’ve already forgotten (more like I’ve tried to block it from my memory ha ha).  Which, all things considered, is not that bad.  My surgery (without insurance) was almost $30,000.  And my E.R. visit that led to my surgery (without insurance) was almost $8,000.  The cost of health care is just unbelievable. 

Because I paid my yearly out-of-pocket maximum, that means everything else for the year is free.  EVERYTHING.  I don’t have to pay co-pays, I don’t have to pay for meds, I pay NOTHING.  Until January 1st. 

So I started making appointments like crazy.  

I got a mammogram, which would have been free anyways (preventative).  My next one will be in January.

I got a colonoscopy, which would have been free anyways (preventative).  My next one will be in 5 years.

I saw an allergist for the first time in years.  I knew I had seasonal allergies, but I didn’t take anything for them other than Benadryl (which is ineffective long-term).  So they did a bunch of breathing tests (I also have mild allergy related asthma) and then they did skin testing on my back, and THEN they did skin testing on my forearm (for the allergens I reacted to on my back).  I ended up being allergic to a bunch of New Mexican weeds, as well as cats AND dogs.  Lovely.  Anyways, he put me on a prescription for my allergies, renewed my inhaler, and gave me a bunch of samples for Xyzal (similar to Claritin, Zyrtec, etc, except this one actually WORKS).  I’ve been sleeping much better, and my allergies are finally under control.

AND EVERYTHING WAS FREE.

Then I got myself established with a new General Practice doctor.  I don’t go to a ‘regular’ doctor often.  I saw my former GP maybe once every 2 years, but then his practice stopped taking my insurance.  So I had gap where I didn’t have a GP.  However, this wasn’t really a problem, because I used a combination of my gynecologist (who once prescribed me seasick patches before we went to Alaska ha ha) and a family friend who is a physician.  He gave me antibiotics once and also put me on an inhaler (we were over at their house for dinner and he heard me wheezing ha ha).  But I figured it was time to get established with a new provider.  So I did!  She did a physical and asked all about my past medical history.  I don’t have to have a PAP smear done EVER again.  But she’ll do a physical and blood work each year. 

Then I went to the dermatologist.  I have not seen one in years.  My skin is kind of all over the place (I have combination skin…it’s either super dry or super oily).  But mostly I wanted to get a full-body mole check.  I’ve never had one.  And since I’ve been living in the land of 300+ days of sun each year for almost 9 years now, I figured I should get checked.  I wear a facial sunscreen every single day, and during the summer when I’m outside I wear sunscreen (plus a hat).  But still…better safe than sorry.  And there were 2 moles that looked funny to me that I wanted her to check out.

She was SO NICE.  And of course she’s leaving the practice, so that stinks.  But anyways, she did a full body check (and warning…if you’ve never had this done….they check pretty much everywhere.  You can keep your underwear on, but there’s really no point ha ha.  I mean…she checked between my toes).  And all of my moles were just fine, including the two I was worried about.  She was very thorough.  Then she talked to me about my skin care routine.  She was no-nonsense and said that all of those super expensive products do not work.  She recommended Panoxyl 4% (for mild acne…can be found over the counter at Walgreens for $12) once a day, Cetaphil daily wash at night (you can get a big bottle at Target for like $8), and Neutrogena Hydroboost moisturizer for night.  The most expensive thing was the Neutrogena Hydroboost.  It was $14.99 at Target.  She said fair-skinned people should have a full-body mole check once a year.  Done.

AND EVERYTHING WAS FREE.

I have an eye appointment at the end of the month.  And I’m going to try to get in to see my therapist (yes, I see a therapist, actually she’s a psychologist…she prescribes my depression/anxiety meds) before the end of the year.

BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS FREE.

I feel really, really good about my health this year.  I mean…I still have a long ways to go, but I feel like I’m finally in control and in charge of my health.  I'm glad I got these appointments out of the way, and I'm especially glad I didn't have to pay for most of them.

I already have appointments set up for next year:  mammogram, allergist follow-up, dermatology follow-up (which may not be necessary, but they wanted to get me on the schedule because they’re super busy), and my yearly physical.  

Make a list of questions for your doctor(s).  Don’t let them get away with rushing through your visit.  And, I cannot stress this enough, ASK FOR SAMPLES.  My allergist gave me a bunch of samples of Xyzal.  It’s over the counter, but it’s pricey.  They over-ordered their stock and guess who benefited????  ME!  I asked for samples of the Neutrogena Hydroboost at the dermatologist, and they gave me four little bottles, the perfect size for my gym bag.  ASK FOR SAMPLES.  They have them.  And they usually will hand them out willingly IF YOU ASK.

Take advantage of your health insurance!  You pay for it!

(Oh, and the picture at the top of this post?  That is me.  After watching 15 seasons of Grey’s Anatomy multiple times, I feel like a doctor.  Just kidding.  Kind of.)

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...