Friday, December 28, 2018

December Reads (10)




Two stars = eh, it was okay
Three stars =  liked it
Four stars = really, really liked it
Five stars = absolutely loved it

1-Star (0)

2-Star (1)
**Homeland (Fiction, B. Kingsolver)
I should just stay away from short stories.  I don’t like them!!!

3-Star (2)
***Bird Box (Fiction, J. Malerman)
Lots of hype about this suspense book.  It was definitely a page turner, but you never find out what the entities (monsters, aliens, something else?) are.  And there was a little weirdness to it (which was not made apparent until the very end).  I won’t be recommending it to anyone, nor will I be watching the movie.

***The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Non-fiction, R. Skloot)
The story of Henrietta Lacks and her HELA cells that were (and still are) used for loads of research in the 50’s.  It was an interesting book, but it seemed to drag on.

4-Star (5)
****Necessary Lies (Fiction, D. Chamberlain)
I really enjoyed this historical fiction novel about the Eugenics program that happened in North Carolina between the 1920’s and 1970’s.  Eugenics is forced sterilizations.  I had NO clue this happened, I guess it’s not something they teach in the history books. 

****A Rule Against Murder (Fiction, L. Penny)
The FOURTH mystery novel in the Chief Inspector Gamache series.  They keep getting better!

****The Reptile Room (Fiction, L. Snicket, #2 A Series of Unfortunate Events)
These poor orphans.  One unfortunate event after another.  Yet these books are endearing, have plenty of characters you can root for, and they are HILARIOUS. 

****First We Make the Beast Beautiful (Non-Fiction, S. Wilson)
Sarah Wilson wrote the book ‘I Quit Sugar’ a few years ago (it was a hit apparently).  She was (is?) also one of the editors of Cosmo magazine.  Anyways, this is her story of anxiety.  It is not a self-help book. It is her story.  And how she copes and doesn’t cope with it.  There were SO MANY times in the book where I was like ‘YESSSSS!!!  This is ME!!!’ and I whipped out my highlighter.  There’s even parts of the book where she says ‘oh, and share this particular part with someone you are close to who doesn’t understand anxiety’, in the hopes that it will help them try to understand. 

A lot of the reviews on Goodreads have been negative, stating that the editing of this book is terrible and it’s all over the place.  I think these reviews are coming from people who don’t suffer from anxiety.  Because to me, the book made perfect sense.  I didn’t feel like it was all over the place.  It felt like I could have written it myself.

She also doesn’t get too preachy about the no sugar thing.  She mentions it over a few pages, but that’s all. 

I personally think everyone should read this book, especially people who don’t have anxiety.  I think it’s portrays an accurate picture of how crippling anxiety can be.

I probably should have given it five stars.

****Food: A Love Story (Non-Fiction, J. Gaffigan)
HILARIOUS.  That’s all.  Here’s a couple of quotes:

“I’m convinced that anyone that does not like Mexican food is a psychopath.”

“The green chili addiction in New Mexico is one I understand.  Green chilies are exciting and a little dangerous.  If I lived in New Mexico I’d be eating so many green chilies I’d have to get a haz-mat suit.  I’ve heard there’s talk of reshooting all the episodes of Breaking Bad but instead of meth, Walter and Jesse sell green chilies.  I can’t wait.”

HILARIOUS.  I listened to the audio, read by Jim Gaffigan himself which made it even funnier.

5-Star (2)
*****Crossing to Safety (Fiction, W. Stegner)
I think I started and stopped this book six times.  But finally, something clicked.  It still took a while to get into.  But around the halfway point, it just begins to soar and it doesn’t stop.  It’s the story of the friendship between two married couples, the Langs and the Morgans.  Their friendship begins in the 1930’s.  They are all very academic and literary people.  The two couples are opposites in many ways, yet their friendship remains strong throughout the years.  Strong enough to see each other through successes, failures, prominence, destitution and most importantly, illness.  I plan to read this book again and highlight the multiple beautiful passages that Wallace Stegner has written.  This book (even with its slow start) is incredible.

*****On Writing (Non-Fiction, S. King)
Stephen King is brilliant.  Even if you have no interest in writing anything ever, you should read this book.  Or better yet, listen to it.  He narrates the audio book himself.  He is hilarious.  And incredibly smart.  And down-to-earth.  I loved this book!


Total Books Read: 10 (4 non-fiction, 6 fiction)

Formats
Kindle: 
Audio: 8         
Real Books: 2

DNF (Did Not Finish) 9:

South of Broad (Fiction, P. Conroy) – couldn’t get into it, unlikeable characters
A Secret Kept (Fiction, T. de Rosnay) – couldn’t get into it    
An American Heiress (Fiction, D. Goodwin) – couldn’t get into it
Transcription (Fiction, K. Atkinson) – confusing (and boring) from page 1 
Driftless (Fiction, D. Rhodes) – couldn’t get into it
The Alice Network (Fiction, K. Quinn) – I might revisit this one at some point.  But for now, I am sick of WWII novels that go back and forth in time.
A Tale for the Time Being (Fiction, R. Ozeki) – strong start….faded quickly
The Map of Salt and Stars – it got weird
Fruit of the Drunkin Tree - it got weird

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...