Wednesday, February 26, 2014

New Space

For the past almost 4 years, I've worked for a fairly large company here in New Mexico, in the health care industry.  My job is not terribly exciting, but I don't mind it.  It's not too stressful, it's a variety of work and I like my boss.  However, we've been working in an old building that had a bunch of issues (bad plumbing, strange smells, no natural light, etc.).  Plus, it was wayyyy out by the airport, and it took me 20 minutes to get there each way.

Well, the wonderful company that I work for recently built a brand new complex approximately 6-7 minutes from my house.  HAPPY DANCE!!!  For the past two years, we've been hearing and watching the progress of this new complex being built.

Today was finally moving day.  Well, actually technically yesterday was moving day, but today was the first day we reported to the new building.

I am in love.  Yes, it is still cubicle land.  But there's not a bad seat in the house.  There are windows surrounding all of the buildings (it's 3 buildings that are all connected) so the light just POURS in.

Here's a picture of my space a few weeks ago, when me and my co-worker came to check it out:


And here was my space this morning:


Yikes.  Our IT Department was supposed to have our computers set up, however there was a miscommunication and they didn't.  So I set my own up, hee hee.  I didn't want to wait for them.

Here is the after (I still had a couple of random things to put away at this point):



I love my new space.  Yes, it's little.  But I love all of the light.  I have plenty of room and plenty of desktop space.  My supervisor offered to get me a new smaller scanner, but I declined.  I have an odd attachment to my large clunky scanner.  I've gotten used to it over the years and it seems to be right at home in it's new spot (seriously...it's like the size of a commercial printer ha ha).  I still have plenty of upper shelf space and one of my large drawers on the left is completely empty.

Our windows face the southeast...so if I turn my chair just a tad, I can see the mountains.  Nice!

The rest of the building is pretty cool too.  The cafeteria is really nice, and it has a Starbucks too!  There are cool chalkboard walls throughout the building.  There is a gym:


It's open 24/7 for employees and has showers and another fitness room in the back for group classes.

Right outside the gym is this:


Hmm...should I bring in pictures of our zoo?

And here is our 2nd floor break room:


There are more tables behind me in this shot and also five new stainless steel fridges all lined up.  Plenty of space!  

I am very excited about this new place.  It took me 6 minutes to get to work this morning and 7 minutes to go home.  That alone is worth getting excited about!  

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...