Thursday, February 6, 2014

Digital Life Random Brain Dump

I seem to be back in project mode again.  I don't think I ever really stop actually, it just seems like I have 2-3 ongoing projects going on at all times.

I am, for the most part, an organized person.  But mostly it's things you can see:  closets, drawers, cabinets, bookshelves, etc.  However, my 'digital' life is kind of a mess.  That's what I'm working on right now.

Last year, we went paperless in an effort to eliminate extra paper in our household.  We've kept up with it for the most part, however I have a bunch of items that I need to scan and save to our computer.  That's definitely on the to-do list.

Next is my books and reading habits.  I used to keep an actual book journal when I was reading a lot (like 40+ books per year).  Then I got rid of that and just moved titles and authors onto an Excel spreadsheet.  Well, now I want to get rid of that too.  So I am in the process of moving everything over to goodreads.com.  It's basically a site that you can track the books you've read, the books you want to read, the books you own and the books you're currently reading.  You can write reviews, read other peoples reviews, rate your books and it keeps track of the date, etc. that you've read your books.  Plus, they have a really nice app that I can pull up at any time on my phone or iPad when I'm either at the bookstore or looking for a new ebook to read!

The next item on my digital organization list is, well, lists.  I have a whole notebook full of lists.  Things to do, projects to do, movies coming out to buy, grocery lists, coupon stuff, etc.  You name it, if I need to write it down it's in my notebook.  Well, I haul this stupid notebook around all the time, it's a mess, it's falling apart, it's huge, I could go on and on.  I need to utilize my Notability app more for lists and ditch the bulky notebook.

Another thing I need to organize is my passwords.  I currently use the Dashline app.  I only have to remember one password, and it keeps tracking of everything else for me.  I have a LOT of passwords - I pay all the bills online, I have Weight Watchers, Barnes & Noble, CVS, Walgreens, Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, goodreads, email, etc.  I love the app.  But I need to add more, because I still have some written down (which is not good).

And lastly, and the largest item on my list is my photos.  I've definitely come a long way with them, but there is still much to do.  Right now I have all of my digital files on an external hard drive that just plugs into my laptop.  They are also on Shutterfly.  What I'm working on right now is all of the pictures from my iPhone.  Like over 2 years worth of pictures.  I started with 800, I'm now down to 400.  Basically, I'm going through all of them, deleting the crappy ones, and then putting the rest into folders by year, month and/or event.  I'm using iPhoto to do this.  Once I get them organized, then I'm going to move them to my external hard drive and Shutterfly.  THEN, I want to go through all of them and start making family yearbooks on MyPublisher.  Yes, it's ambitious.  I'm chipping away at it.  It will be nice to have it done.  And then I am going to MAKE myself plug in my iPhone at least once a month to my computer so it can download my new pictures.  I pretty much didn't do it for over 2 years, therefore I had to deal with 800+ photos.

So there is my random brain dump for the evening.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.  I'm sure you'll be waiting on the edge of your seat, ha ha.

And just because this is a very random blog, here are two random pictures:

Howie in the bathtub, yawning:

And Hannah when she was a baby:


20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...