Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Taming the Paper Clutter Monster with your Planner (and more dental stuff)

This is another post about the wonder that is my revamped bullet journal and my six-hole punch.

The picture below is the paper ‘clutter’ that was brought into our house just yesterday.  AND, this isn’t even all of it.  Any mail that is addressed to my husband I set aside for him to open and deal with.

I separated it into 3 piles:  Dental, bills, coupons.
 

I had a dentist appointment yesterday with a new sedation dentist.  With my horrible experiences that I’ve had with dental procedures in the past, it was time to find a new dentist that would knock me out for anything – simple cavity fillings, cleanings, anything.

Yesterday I had x-rays done and a gum evaluation done.  And then they formed a treatment plan.  And then (it’s a fancy-schmancy office) they presented everything to me in a nice folder with their name on it, two business cards with my upcoming appointments, my treatment plan, and two other informational sheets.  It’s a nice thought…but it’s stuff like this that makes me nuts and makes paper unbearable.  *On a side note, I walked into this office and it smelled like lavender (relaxing).  As I filled out my paperwork, I noticed a little glass-doored refrigerator full of bottled water and juice.  Then while I was in the dental chair waiting for my exam, the hygienist whipped out a laminated sheet and asked if I wanted any complimentary services:  lip balm, a warm blanket, a warm pillow, an ipod to listen to with music of my choice, etc.  The plastic gloves they used are flavored (pink for bubblegum, green for mint).  And everyone that worked there was pretty and sort of acted ‘stepford-wife-ish’, but in a good way.  Super friendly, almost fake, but not quite.  And they were either wearing white or black.  The rest of the office was lavender colored (calming).  Anyways….a little insight into my new dental office.

So I brought home the folder they gave me, then checked the mail to find it stuffed with ads, coupons, and the electric bill.

I immediately threw out what I could (the envelope and other stuff that comes in the electric bill), and also the ads of places we never go (Albertson’s?  come on….even when their stuff is on sale they are WAY more expensive than any other grocery store here). 

I went through the coupons and clipped the ones I might use.

Then I went through my dental folder and pulled out what I needed.  I recycled the folder (meaning I put it in my ‘folder stash’ at work to use for something else).

This is what was left:
 
 

I got my planner and wrote down my appointment times for the dentist.  Then I 6-hole punched my other documents and filed them in the week of my appointments (after-care instructions for after my sedation appointment, etc.)  I did the same with the coupons and filed them as well.
 
 
 
And suddenly, my large stack of paper to deal with was no more!  Paper clutter is the WORST and I try to deal with as much as I can right as it enters the house.  Husband is pretty good about dealing with his stuff.  And we scan anything important that needs to be kept.  This new system has been great because all of my papers are always with me at ALL times.  I highly recommend it!
 

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...