Saturday, December 23, 2017

2017 Year in Review

Crazy, crazy year.  Here are the highlights!

January
As usual, I started off the year with a trip to Nebraska to visit my family.  It was nice to see them all!  





April
In April, we celebrated our 7th anniversary.  We kept it pretty low-key and went to Elephant Butte Lake and Truth or Consequences.  



  
May
In May, Watson graduated from service dog training.  He’s done a great job!!  We had a little celebration for him at home.



I also got a promotion at work.  Yay!

And….we were accepted into and started our French class.

June
June was probably one of the hardest months of my life.  I can’t remember a time in my life when I’ve been more stressed out.  We listed our house for sale on June 1st.  It sold on June 4th.  We had a closing date of July 19th.  



My mother-in-law’s house also went up for sale on June 1st.  Her house sold on June 6th, with a closing date at the end of June.

So….within 6 days, we sold 2 houses and had not yet found a new house.  I don’t exactly remember the date we first looked at the house we eventually bought.  But I’m thinking it was about a week or so.  At that point we had looked at maybe 6 or 7 houses already, and didn’t like any of them.  The last house we looked at was ‘the one’.  We made an offer and there was a LOT of back and forth/negotiating/inspections/repairs/etc.  STRESS.  FUL.  And in the meantime, we were trying to pack, dealing with stuff we had to fix with our house, and going to French class each week (along with working, meetings, service, etc.).


We closed on our new house on July 10th I believe and moved in on July 13th.  So from the time we listed our house for sale to the time we bought and completely moved in to our new house was less than SIX WEEKS.  I look back now and still wondered how we did it.  It was just super stressful coordinating everything (which my husband did most of), getting things packed, getting dates nailed down, hiring movers, getting storage pods delivered, etc.



July
In July we closed on our new house and moved in.  About a week and a half later, my sister and my parents came to visit.



August
August was cool just because of the solar eclipse.  We were far from totality, but it was still cool.



September
September was busy working on October projects.  We had to plan a skit for our French class graduation, and we were also in the process of planning a big thank you dinner for our French class teachers and our entire French group.  And we pretty much finished unpacking the house as well.

October
October was the balloon fiesta, and I enjoyed it again this year from my front row seat at work.

We also performed our French class skit and graduated!  This was a HUGE stress reliever.  French class was great, but it was HARD.  And extremely time consuming.



At the end of the month we had 28 people show up (our group is only about 30 ha ha) for our thank-you dinner.  It went great!  Again….I was sooooo relieved when it was over. 



November
In November my Dad arranged for me to come to Missouri to surprise my mom for a little visit.  It was so much fun!  It was nice to see family and some of my extended family as well.  On my drive up there I stopped in Oklahoma (Pawhuska) to visit The Pioneer Woman’s store.  It was fun!







I also did Black Friday again this year with my friend.  We always have so much fun.

And I had a bunch of dental work done.  Yippee.

December
In December we went to Memphis for a little getaway.  My husband had a conference there for work so I joined him when it was over.  We listened to some Blues, had some BBQ, went to Graceland, the National Civil Rights Museum, and took a side trip to Nashville to take in a hockey game.



At the end of this month, hubby’s uncle came for a short visit.  It’s always nice to see him and we got to put our guest room to good use as well!

Places visited:
Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee

New family members:  0
New pets:  1 (well, technically she’s my mother-in-law’s dog, but she’s officially part of the pack – Baby Girl)



20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...