Saturday, December 23, 2017

On Reading/Reading Goals



Oh books.  One of my favorite things.  Sometimes I WISH I didn’t love reading.  It can be an expensive habit, even if you primarily buy used books.

This past year, I set a goal to read 52 books.  I ended up reading 76.  I was actually surprised I’ve been able to read so much , mostly because we’ve had such a crazy year.  But, it’s my escape from reality and life (which is just necessary sometimes!).  

I have some reading goals for 2018.

1.      I tend to have at least 10 books going at one time.  I know there is nothing wrong with this.  However, it feels like that sometimes one month I’ll finish 15 books and the next month I’ll finish 3 or 4, which just seems so inconsistent.  So, I’m going to try to focus on just one or two books (MAYBE three) at a time.  I think this will help me feel like I’m accomplishing more when I finish a book (as opposed to having a bunch of unfinished books all over the place).
2.      Read 100 books in 2018.  This might be a bit much, but I’m going to try.  It’s 8 or 9 books each month.  I think I can do it, especially considering I read a lot of young reader books that I never got around to in my childhood and these books are typically short.
3.      I want to broaden my reading each month out a bit as far as genre.  Each month, I’d like to read at least one fiction, one non-fiction, one classic, one Pulitzer, etc.  The classics are usually the last books I reach for, and they are REALLY starting to pile up.    
4.      STOP BUYING SO MANY BOOKS.  My TBR shelves are full.  Here they are:





      I have classics on the top.  Fiction on the shelves.  Non-fiction on the wicker shelf.  And this does not include the ‘shared’ books that are on my husband’s bookshelves, or the 3 books I have on my night table, OR the books I have on my Nook.  So my total TBR OWNED books that I have (on these shelves): 166.  !!!  I am both proud and horrified about this.  Ha ha.
5.      Go to the library more.   A lot of the books on my list I’m SURE can be found at the library.  I don’t need to buy them.  The issue that I’ve always had with the library is that I feel pressure to finish the books right away and get them returned.  But I’m hoping that with goal #1, that will change.  If I’m only focusing on one or two books at one time, then I should be able to easily finish library books within 3 weeks.  Plus, I’ve heard from a source that our libraries here do NOT charge for late fees.  !  Good to know.
6.      Speaking of libraries, I’m going to continue to utilize Hoopla in 2018.  I LOVE this free app that allows me check out 5 audiobooks each month.  They have new books available all the time.  Our city’s public library system has partnered with Hoopla, so all I had to do was download the app and enter my library card number and voila.  I was in.  There are a few other apps out there (Overdrive, Libby, etc.), but Hoopla is the one I use the most.  It is easy, you can speed up the pace of the books, and there is a great selection.  If your public library system does not have Hoopla, it probably has another app you can use to check out free audio books.  There is also a huge selection of e-books available on Hoopla to check out.  
7.      Continue to listen to books on CD.  Our library bookshop has a GREAT selection of books on CD.  They are anywhere from $1 - $8.  Which are GREAT prices…most audiobooks (on CD) brand new are at least $20+.  I LOVE listening to these in my car.  It is so much better than the radio, which is just crappy music (most of the time), commercials, loud DJs or super depressing news and/or political talk.  And I am amazed at how quickly I can get through an a book on CD in my car and I am NOT in my car a whole lot.  My commute to work is about 8 minutes each way, so 16 minutes per day.  Plus trips to the store, errands, etc.  But it adds up!  Sometimes I will eat lunch in my car too (at work ha ha) if I’m in the middle of a great audiobook.  J  But I enjoy books on CD so much that I bought a little CD player for our desk upstairs.  It can also pair with my phone for my other audiobooks, which is nice.  The library usually has a good selection of books on CD as well.  Usually you get 3 weeks, then you can renew once for an additional 3 weeks.  This is PLENTY of time to get through a book on CD in your car, even if you don’t drive much.  
8.      Donate my ‘non-keeper’ books to the Little Free Libraries around town.  Because we don’t have Hastings anymore, there’s no place here to re-sell your books.  And selling them online is too much effort.  So in our library I have a little stand with basket drawers.  I put my donations in there and when the baskets are full, I will put them in my car.  And then usually while we’re in service, we will distribute my books (and also leave a piece of literature) into the libraries.  On our last round, I donated 9 books and picked up 3.  J  Not too shabby!!  There are two Little Free Libraries that are very close to our house (within walking distance), so when the weather is nicer I can walk to them also.  I would much rather donate to LFLs instead of Goodwill.

So there you have it.  I'm excited to read even MORE in 2018!!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...