Monday, March 19, 2018

Audio Books

I am just here to once again rave about my love of free audiobooks through our library system.  So if you have no interest in audio books, you might want to skip this one.

Even if I have a ‘real’ paper copy of a book on my shelf, sometimes I will see if the library has it free as an audiobook.  Why?  Many reasons.  I can listen to audiobooks at work.  I can also listen to them in my car.  And I love it.  I can get through a lot of books in a month if some are audiobooks.  This month I'm already up to 12 books read (a mix of audio books and 'real' books).  They range from usually about 6 hours in length to 22 hours in length.  But, I listen to them at double speed.  So a 6 hour audiobook will take me 3 hours to listen to.  I can easily get through one a day at work.

There are limits of course, and due dates.  But I typically never run out of audiobooks to read.   I have three different library apps on my phone.  Here’s how to do it.

Log onto your city library’s website.  Under ‘Downloads’ or ‘Ebooks’ or ‘Audiobooks’, there should be a list of apps that you can download and then link your library card with.  That’s how you check out and listen to free audiobooks.

My library has three:

Hoopla
Libby
RB  Digital

Hoopla allows 5 audiobooks per month, and they have GOOD ones.  And new ones come in all the time (like An American Marriage, which is still on the ‘New Release’ shelf as a hardback at Barnes & Noble.)



(FYI....on my 'shelf' above, I DNF'd Library at the Edge of the World, and I never started Somerset because I realized I should read the first book in the series before the second ha ha).

Libby I mostly use to place holds on newer books.  But I also currently have 5 audio books checked out now with them as well (all are books I have copies of at home, except the one right below):




RB Digital is the one I use the least.  They have loads of older stuff though, which is nice.  I currently have 1 Steinbeck checked out and 2 Hemingways.



I ONLY check out audiobooks from these sites, although they have an even greater selection of e-books.  But usually I hit my limit with audiobooks, so I kind of ignore the e-books.

Listening to audiobooks is a COMPLETELY different experience than reading the book.  Sometimes I think it’s better, especially if it’s a good narrator.  And yes, I ABSOLUTELY count them as ‘books read’.  

And best of all....it's FREE!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...