Sunday, March 11, 2018

Addition Update #2

We're 6 weeks in to our addition.  The hope is to have it done by the end of April (hopefully).

I haven't been great about taking pictures, but I try to snap a few when I notice major progress.

Concrete!


Walls!


So I just snap these pictures from my car because I have social anxiety and I don't want the workers to see me taking pictures.  The struggle is real!

These next two I snapped yesterday.  We have a roof!!!



So far, so good!  I think it's looking great.  My mother-in-law's front door and window can be seen, and she'll also have sliding glass doors on the other side.

The original plan was to keep the existing brick along the two existing walls (seen in the first addition update I did last month) so she would have two brick walls IN her kitchen.  But then my husband thought it might be better to use that brick for the OUTSIDE of the addition, so that the brick would match our house completely (as opposed to having NEW brick that might not match great).  We had a family meeting and decided that we all loved that idea.  We want this addition to look like it was originally built with the house 50 years ago.  :)  So we want it to look like it's own little separate place, but like it was original to the house.  Does that make sense? 

So anyways, the contractors have removed all of the brick and will use it to brick the outside.  And my mother-in-law will have four regular drywall-walls (like my construction speak?? Ha ha) instead of two drywall-walls and two brick walls.  This will make her kitchen even lighter too (and warmer).

So that's the latest!  The workers come every day (sometimes even on Saturdays).  It's loud, but that's to be expected.  They want to get it done soon too!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...