Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Paper

To say that I've been getting bored is somewhat of an understatement.

I mean...don't get me wrong, I have loved being able to relax and recover and not having to go to work for 4 weeks has been nice.

But I am not one to lay around all day and watch tv, or even read for that matter.  Usually when I'm reading I'm waiting on something or multitasking (like stirring on the stove while reading a book, for example).  Or waiting for my Instant Pot to finish 'Natural Releasing".  Anyways, my point is, I have to have projects.  Especially when I'm on week 4 of being off of work.

So one of my projects this week was my paper.  Before we moved, I did a pretty good job of purging our paperwork.  We've gone paperless on most everything, but there are some things that we still need to keep.  

And when we were buying this house and selling our old one, LOADS of paperwork was created.  And I didn't have the time during the middle of our move to sort everything.

And then when we moved, I just sort of shoved everything in the cabinets under our desk.

So this week, I went through EVERY sheet of paper in every folder, every binder, etc.  I was ruthless.  I got rid of a lot of things (especially moving related stuff, not to be confused with house stuff).


I cleaned up my husband's 'Public Talk Outlines' binder.  I made a 'Taxes' binder (we keep 8 years worth).  And I updated my 'Misc.' binder, and also created a new 'Mortgage' binder, with all of our house paperwork in it.



I've discussed my hatred for hanging file folders/systems before, but just in case you missed it, here's why I don't like them.  It's too easy to save WAY more than you need.  Things get lost.  Labeling is a pain.  You need either a drawer specially made for hanging file folders OR some kind of cardboard contraption for the folders.  They get stuffed full.  They curve.  They fall apart.  Etc.  They're just not for me.

So I use binders.  It kind of forces you to be ruthless, because you can only fit so much into a binder.  Plus, they can be stored anywhere.  We don't have a separate filing cabinet or anything, I just stored the binders in the cabinets under our desk.


I do have some 'working' folders also.  I created a 'Surgery' folder to contain all of my 'active' surgery paperwork (EOBs, notes, bills, etc.).  And I have an Iceland folder.  But those will both go away eventually.


I get the plastic-type folders.  NEVER buy paper folders if you can help it.  They fall apart extremely easily.  The plastic type ones are so much better.  And as you can see from my multiple labels above, they are reusable.

So that's one project down!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...