Monday, June 3, 2019

May Reads (8)




Two stars = eh, it was okay
Three stars =  liked it
Four stars = really, really liked it
Five stars = absolutely loved it

1-Star (0)

2-Star (0)

3-Star (1)
***The Body (Fiction, S. King)
Hmm.  This is the short novel written by Stephen King that was adapted into the popular 80s movie, ‘Stand By Me’.  I LOVED the movie.  But the little novel was just okay.  I found myself skimming.  I think this is one of the few times that I can actually say the movie was better than the book.  And what’s interesting is that the book is categorized as YA, probably because the four main characters are teenagers.  However, the book is DEFINITELY not YA in my opinion.  It’s very adult.

4-Star (5)
****Lilac Girls (Fiction, M. Hall)
The first half of this book is very slow.  But the second half is amazing.  It’s based on the life of Caroline Ferriday, a philanthropist during World War II, and the ‘godmother’ to the women of Ravensbruck, a Nazi concentration camp.  It’s a difficult read (don’t let the pretty cover fool you…this book is very dark in places), but well worth it.  I plan to read the pre-quel, ‘Lost Roses’.

****Postmortem (Fiction, P. Cornwell)
This is book one of a series of about 24 I believe.  It follows Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta and her grisly murder cases.  It’s pretty gross in detail (she does autopsies and is usually one of the first ones on the scene) but I LOVED it.  I couldn’t put it down.  Of course, I like all of the gross medical details.  I’m looking forward to starting the next one in the series.

****The Gown (Fiction, J. Robson)
A complete 180 from Postmortem, this book is historical fiction about the ladies who made Queen Elizabeth’s wedding gown.  It follows 3 women, Ann (1940s), Miriam (1940s), and Heather (present day, Anne’s granddaughter).  I loved this book too and flew through it.  Although the writing is good (not great), the story is phenomenal. I never knew how interesting embroidery could be!  Ha ha.  It was really good and one that I would recommend to ANYONE without hesitation.

****Things My Son Needs to Know About the World (Non-Fiction, F. Backman)
Fredrick Backman (author of two of my favorites, Bear Town and Us Against You) has an amazing sense of humor, which shines in this book.  You should also follow his Instagram which makes me laugh out loud constantly.  This is a good one!

****All You Can Ever Know (Non-Fiction, N. Chung)
I enjoyed this book on audio (it’s quick).  Listening to Nicole’s perspective on adoption and culture and being different was very interesting.  “I didn’t know how to tell people about surviving a loss I didn’t even remember.”

5-Star (2)
*****Caroline (Fiction, S. Miller)
This book was the perfect read at the perfect time for me.  I was having a rough couple of weeks getting caught up in the rat race of work and life and errands and so on and so on.  This book was a calming, serene escape.  Little House on the Prairie told from Caroline’s perspective.  The contentment she had for such simple things was so refreshing and a wonderful reminder for me to enjoy and NOTICE the simple things in life and be more grateful in general.  And the writing was really good as well!

*****Where the Crawdads Sing (Fiction, D. Owens)
I LOVE a good, atmospheric book.  And boy did this one deliver.  I could vividly picture the marshes along the southeastern coast all throughout this book.  And not just the marshes…the birds, the grasses, the ocean, everything.  We follow Kya though her rough childhood, abandonment, and watch her navigate her way to adulthood being known in her community as ‘the Marsh Girl’.  I loved it!

Total Books Read: 8 (6 fiction, 2 non-fiction)

DNF (Did Not Finish) : 1
The Secret History (couldn’t get into it)

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...