Monday, September 30, 2019

September Reads (12)




Two stars:        eh, it was okay
Three stars:     liked it
Four stars:       really, really liked it
Five stars:        absolutely loved it

1-Star (0)

2-Star (2)
**A Place for Us (Fiction, F. Mirza)
I MUST have someone to root for while I’m reading a book.  And as much as I tried, I did not give a flying flip about any of these characters.  They all seemed angry, selfish, unlikable, bitter, and resentful.  Even great writing cannot make up for that.

**The Miserable Mill #4 (Fiction, L. Snickett)
The fourth book of A Serious of Unfortunate Events series.  Not my favorite.

3-Star (5)
***Paperback Crush (Non-Fiction, G. Moss)
I enjoyed this non-fiction book about 80’s – 90’s YA/YR books, but I didn’t ‘know’ most of the books discussed (with the exception of the Babysitters Club).  There were definite laugh out loud moments though.

***Into Thin Air (Non-Fiction, J. Krakauer)
Why anyone would ever want to climb this mountain is baffling to me.  Krakauer himself climbed the mountain and never mentioned ANYTHING good (like the views, the sense of accomplishment, etc.).  The entire journey was miserable from start to finish.  Passing dead bodies along the way.  Your fellow climbers dropping like flies (literally).  Frostbite.  Amputations.  Head swelling.  Blood clots.  Constant nausea.  And that just scratches the surface.  Horrible.  The 3-star rating is because at times it was REALLY wordy and I found my mind wandering a LOT.

***Then She Was Gone (Fiction, L. Jewell)
Solid mystery that kept me guessing.

***Bring Her Home (Fiction, D. Bell)
This was good, but it was VERY predictable and a tad too long.  And it all felt very familiar.  Maybe I read it once before and didn’t remember?  Ha ha.  But if you’re looking for a quick, decent mystery this is a good one to pick up.  And the cover is gorgeous.  It almost pains me to get rid of it (I rarely keep 3-star books).

***11-22-63 (Fiction, S. King)
I wavered a lot between 3 stars and 4 stars.  Stephen King is SUCH a good writer.  But….his books are sooooooooooo long.  And they are not easy reads.  But this was a fascinating story about a man who travels back in time to try to prevent the assassination of JFK.  Lesson:  Don’t mess with history.

4-Star (2)
****Ask Me About My Uterus (Non-Fiction, A. Norman)
Anyone who has endometriosis needs to read this book.  Fun fact:  endometriosis is NOT a disease that only appears on the uterus.  It can appear on other organs as well. 

****How the Light Gets In (Fiction, L. Penny)
Another solid Three Pines mystery.

5-Star (3)
*****The Traveling Cat Chronicles (Fiction, H. Arikawa)
This was such a surprising little book.  A man rescues a cat after it was hit by a car.  He takes care of the cat, loves the cat, and then takes the cat on a long journey through Japan, meeting old friends along the way.  But the book is told from the cats perspective.  Sound corny?  It’s not.  It’s so good!

*****Maybe You Should Talk to Someone (Non-Fiction, L. Gottlieb)
Although this book started off very slowly for me, it really picked up towards the middle and through the end.  A therapist who needs therapy.  Anyone who has been in therapy or wants to go to therapy should read this book!

*****The Dutch House (Fiction, A. Patchett)
My very first Ann Patchett book was Bel Canto.  I believe it was a 3-star read for me.  Then I read Run.  Also…3-stars.  Then I read State of Wonder.  4 STARS.  So original.  Then Commonwealth.  Commonwealth was about a 3.5.  Not quite 4, but I STILL think about the first 50 pages or so.  So descriptive.  I felt like I was at that party in California.

The Dutch House?  FIVE SOLID STARS.  The book is about siblings Danny and Maeve, who are raised by a single dad in this mansion in Pennsylvania called The Dutch House.  It’s full of huge glass windows, ornate paintings (left by the original owners), staircases, rooms with window seats, etc.  Some people loved it.  Some people hated it.  Including Danny and Maeve’s mother, who left the family pretty early on.  The kids’ father gets remarried to Andrea, a woman with 2 girls of her own who LOVES the house.  Eventually, she kicks Danny and Maeve to the curb.  Danny and Maeve go from leading a pretty privileged life in a huge house, to living in a crappy apartment in New York where one of them has to sleep on the couch.  They now have to navigate their way through life and support themselves, all while trying to figure out what just happened.  The books goes back and forth in time, but not too much to be confusing.  It flows really nicely.  And there’s not a lot of characters, which is also a nice change. 

This is a relatively ‘quiet’ book,  yet there are a LOT of deep issues explored.  And the writing is phenomenal.  Read it!

Total Books Read: 12 (8 Fiction, 4 Non-Fiction)

DNF: 
Sleeping Giants (just not interested)
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (I’m all for nature…but not THIS much nature)

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...