Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Angie's Black Bean Soup



I am not a cook.  Nor do I claim to be one.  I don't enjoy cooking, so I don't do it often.  But every now and then I will make something.  And when that something turns out really well, then I will post it here.  Take note that this is maybe the second or third recipe I've posted, ha ha.

I made black bean soup about a month ago.   I adapted it from probably three different recipes.  I kind of lost track.  It is vegetarian, of course.  

Angie's Black Bean Soup (yep, I call it mine cuz I made it my own!)
Serves:  at least 6 (hefty portions)

-1.5 tbsp canola oil
-1 medium onion, diced
-6 cloves garlic
-2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and diced
-4 carrots, diced
-3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
-1 tbsp. chili powder
-1/2 tsp. cumin
-6 cups veggie broth
-4 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
-cilantro for garnish

Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 12 minutes.  Add chili powder and cumin.  Saute for 3 minutes.

Stir in broth and beans, then bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove 2-3 cups of soup; puree in a blender (this thickens up the soup).  Stir pureed soup back into pot and cook 5 minutes longer.  

Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...