Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Movies & Bad Habits


I have a bad habit.  Well, to be completely honest, I have many bad habits, but I’m going to talk about only one today.
In an attempt to break this one bad habit that I have, I’m going to blog about it and keep you updated.
 Here it is:
 I buy movies I’ve never seen and then don’t watch them.
 I’ve always had a big movie collection, even before I got married (and then married someone with a sizeable movie collection also).  We LOVE movies.  We’re not one to watch a movie just once.  We like having movies, and like having many movies to choose from.
 So my movie collection was large as it was, and even before I moved here I had movies in my collection that I had never seen.
We use the app ‘My Movies’ to catalog our collection.  It’s super user friendly and sorts all of our movies very nicely.  When we get a new movie, all we do is open the app, scan the UPC code on the back of the movie with our phone, and it is added to our collection.

Recently, I went through and made a list of all of the movies that we own that I had not seen and/or had not seen for 20+ years.
There were 59 on the list.  Including a couple of TV seasons.  (I know, I know).
I blame Hastings.  Hastings is a wonderful chain of stores here in the Southwest where you can buy used movies for dirt cheap.  For $20, you can usually get anywhere from 4 -7 movies.  They constantly have deals going on….buy 2, get one free, buy one get one for $1, etc.  And their used movies start off as little as $1.99.  And they have a HUGE selection.  Huge.  And they easy to find, all in alphabetical order.  And, because Hastings rents movies also, they always have used new releases available for purchase as well.
So we would just go in to browse for books (oh, did I mention they have books too?) and end up leaving $20 poorer, and 5-6 more movies added to the pile.
I know some people think it’s crazy.  But they’re so cheap!  And no pressure to watch them right away.  No late fees.  No fear of the movie getting lost.  So I would browse, read the reviews online (imdb.com is the best movie review site ever in my opinion), and if the movie got a good review and it was $3, why not just buy it?  And a lot of them are those ‘4 movies on 1 disc’ deals with 4 classic movies.  I love classic movies!  Four for $4!  (I have a problem, I know)
Well…they’ve started to pile up.  And so I am determined to watch them all. 
I reviewed my list, and found 5 that were on streaming Netflix.  So I started watching those first, mostly because I can watch them on my ipad at work.  Well, half watch, half listen (with headphones of course).  As for the other ones, well I’m just going to watch them here and there.  Maybe 1-2 per week.  I have a little portable DVD player that I can set up while I’m folding laundry on the dining room table or cooking in the kitchen.
I’ve crossed four off the list since Friday:

Once Upon a Time in the West (1960s western with Paul Newman)….it was okay.  It got amazing ratings on IMDB, and I’m not sure why really.  But oh well.

Somewhere in Time.  I’d only seen it once and I was probably 10 years old at the time, so I don’t remember anything about it.  Good movie, sappy of course.

Anna Karenina (the 1948 black and white version with Vivien Leigh) – this was definitely my favorite of the four.  I love Vivien Leigh.

The Lady Vanishes.  Alfred Hitchcock.  It was good, but it can't hold a candle to Rear Window, one of my favorites.
So now there are 55 on my list.  Each time I blog I will update you with the number….hopefully it will shrink quickly!
Oh….and I am publicly vowing not to buy any more movies at Hastings until I have finished watching every movie on the list.  Yikes!  It will take me a while for sure, but I will get through it.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...