Saturday, August 3, 2013

Movie Project - Post #2

I've been crossing more movies off my list!  (see post below).  Since my last post, I've watched three more.  This is kind of fun!

First one watched:


I had read this book a couple of years ago (or whenever it came out) and I loved it.  I loved it so much that it became a permanent fixture in my collection.

So I was really surprised that when they made a movie they advertised and promoted it as a comedy.  In fact, I had to look it up to make sure it was the same book-movie combination.  The book is definitely not a comedy.  And (in my opinion), the movie is definitely not a comedy.  It is a great drama....but not a comedy.  I think that's why it didn't do very well at the box office.  I think if they had marketed it as a drama instead of a comedy it would have done much better.  I like both Tina Fey and Paul Rudd, so I enjoyed this movie.

Next up:


Empire Falls.  Another book that I read years ago and enjoyed.  This was a miniseries, but it wasn't that long.  The whole thing was about 3 hours I think.  I liked it okay.  It was a little too long.  The casting was wonderful - Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Robin Wright Penn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joann Woodward and more.  Paul Newman was the best.  I liked the book better, but that's usually how it goes.

And finally:


500 Days of Summer.  This was a cute, quirky movie as far as romantic movies go.  And on IMDB, it got a 7.8 (out of 10).  I'm not sure if you're familiar with IMDB, but that's a pretty good rating, especially for a romantic comedy.  Most romantic comedies get between a 4-6 rating.  French Kiss got a 6.3 (one of my favorites).  Under the Tuscan Sun got a 6.6.  The Proposal got a 6.7.  Runaway Bride got a 5.2.  My Best Friend's Wedding got 6.2.  My point is, usually movies like this don't rate as well as dramas or action movies.  Not a bad movie at all.

My favorite of these three?  Admission.

48 left to go (I totally miscounted on my last blog post.  Oops.)

The next three on my list are Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, All About Eve, and Dave.  (I am going in no particular order as you can probably tell).

If I keep watching at this rate, maybe it won't take me as long as I thought!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...