Saturday, August 31, 2013

It's That Time of the Year

It's that time of the year.  Stores are roasting green chile, Labor Day is on Monday, and while the temperatures here haven't started to cool down...it's coming.

(photo from Hatch)

You know what else is coming?

Fantasy Football.

And football in general.  In fact, as I blog this entry from my laptop, I am sitting on the couch with my feet up watching the Husker vs. Wyoming game.  The score is currently 14-17 (Huskers).



I enjoy football.  The only college team I'm a fan of is the Huskers.  I don't know much about the other college teams.  I am much more into pro football, but that is strictly because of Fantasy Football.



This will be my fourth year doing it.  The first year I did it I came in 2nd place (out of 12 guys).  The second year I did it I came in 3rd place.  The 3rd year was cut short for various reasons that I won't get into here.  This year, we almost weren't going to do it.  In fact, my husband and I just started talking about starting a new league a few days ago.  And then, after some texting and emailing, we suddenly had 10 people in our new league and our draft is being held this Monday (Labor Day).

Honestly, I didn't start getting excited about it until today.  My husband and I went to breakfast and after breakfast we went to Hastings, where I purchased my two Fantasy Football magazines.  I always buy two so that I can compare them:  projections, stats, who to watch, how they did last year, who's injured, etc.  That's when I started to get excited.  The fun part is not really the draft, but afterwards when the games start and you're matched up with another member in your league each week.  It's especially fun when you are able to watch most of the games and watch your points rack up online in real-time.  There's waivers, injuries, breakout players, disappointments and more.  I never ever thought I would enjoy it as much as I do.

I'm the only girl again this year.  But that's okay.  I can hold my own.  I know how to draft, and that's the most important part.  If you draft poorly, your season won't have a good start and maybe won't be able to recover.

So that's what's happening on Monday.  It will be pretty low-key this year.  We're ordering pizza, soda, and I'll have a few other munchies on hand.  It should only take a couple of hours to draft.

I love fall!!!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...