Saturday, October 12, 2013

Gentle Giants


I took Friday off for a much needed 'break from work' day.  I decided to start my day off by checking out the balloons since the international balloon fiesta is still going on.

I was lucky, because not only was it perfect weather for flying, it was 'special shapes day'.  The weather has to be perfect for flying for special shapes day.  The shaped balloons are much harder to control and so there can be literally no wind.  

I didn't go down to the park itself, mostly because I didn't want to fight traffic.  Instead, I drove to my local Target, which is not too far from Balloon Fiesta Park.  


Above is Airabelle the cow.  Because Airabelle is SO huge (she's at least twice the size of a regular balloon), she only gets to fly once or twice per year.  I was glad to see her!  

Darth Vader only was up for a few minutes before he had to land, so I didn't get any pictures of him.



A zebra.  Uncle Sam.  Airabelle looks like she's riding on top of that white car.  A pink pig with wings (top left, it's back is to us).


Smokey the Bear (bottom right corner)



Jet Pack Man!  He's new this year.  (middle left).  This picture also reminds me that the amount of car accidents that happen during balloon fiesta usually triples.  I mean...how distracting is this!  How can you not look?!?




Wow, New Mexico looks pretty flat in this picture.  Maybe because we are facing West...mountains are behind me.


There's the mountains!  Along with the pink elephant.


After I got home I took the dogs out.  We heard this balloon before we saw it:


This is right outside our back door.  It was pretty funny because our chihuahua started barking at it immediately. 


And now it's getting ready to land in the golf course across the street from us.  Balloons have the right of way during balloon fiesta and can land wherever they want:


It was a nice morning!  And best of all, I didn't have to fight crowds or traffic to enjoy the gentle giants!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...