Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hart of Dixie

I'm a big fan of Netflix streaming, and honestly it's where I watch most of my TV and movies.

Recently, I discovered Hart of Dixie.


Here's the blurb from IMDB:

"New Yorker and new doctor Zoe Hart accepts an offer from a stranger, Dr. Harley Wilkes, to work in his medical practice in Bluebell, Alabama.  She arrives to find he has died and left half of the practice to her in his will."

Currently on Netflix there are two seasons.  The third season is now playing on the CW I believe.  I've watched the first two seasons, and the best way I can describe it is Gilmore Girls meets Sweet Home Alabama meets Doc Hollywood.

The setting is the fictional gulf coast town of Bluebell, Alabama.  It is a charming, VERY Southern town.  I've never lived in the south, so I'm not sure how much of it is accurate.  Like....do they really have social groups like 'The Belles'?  Do they really sound like that?  Do they really bake a pie every time someone has a bad day?  Do they really have names like Lemon, Magnolia, and Cricket?

Either way, it's a cute show.  Sometimes the dialogue is cheesy.  But sometimes it is hilarious.  The town reminds me a lot of Stars Hollow, the town of the Gilmore Girls.  In fact, I've read that they used some of the same set (including the gazebo in the town square).  There are eccentric characters, townspeople, 'villains', and the mayor's (the black guy in the picture below) pet alligator named Burt Reynolds.

I am liking this show.  I am glad there is a third season, because things were left kind of up in the air at the end of season 2.

Here's the 'main' cast:


Yes, that is the guy from Friday Night Lights.  And yes, that is Nurse Betty from Pearl Harbor (who happens to be from Omaha, NE).  She plays the character that you hate at first, but eventually learn to love.

So if you have Netflix and are looking for a lighthearted (kind of) series to get in to, give Hart of Dixie a try.  There's something for everyone!  (oh, and if you like country music, which I don't, you will be thrilled...it is full of it!)

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...