Sunday, June 15, 2014

Reclaiming My House - Project #1 - The Master Bathroom

I started Project #1 of my 'Reclaiming My House' project yesterday (see post below) and finished up this morning.

I started small with our master bathroom.  Well, kind of small ha ha.  Our master bathroom is the only room in our house that hasn't been updated.  So....original 70s vanity, linoleum, etc.  We have plans to eventually redo it (maybe) but it's pretty low on our list.  No one uses it except Josh and I and it's functional.  And....it's a bathroom, you know?

I am going to be brave....here are the befores:







Products EVERYWHERE.  You would think that I would be a high maintenance girl that takes an hour to do my hair and face each day.  

Nope.  But products....everywhere.  I think what happens is that I see a new product I want to try, so I buy it and instead of waiting for my old product to be finished, I open the new product and use both of them.  And this is like times ten (hairspray, lotion, shampoo, etc.).  Hence the crazy amount of products that are on the counters.

First I went through every surface, drawer, cabinet, basket, and got rid of everything I didn't like, was too old, or I hadn't used in a year.  Then I gathered all 'like' products and chose the one that was the most empty and kept that out as the one to use until empty.  The rest went into a basket (on the shelving in the picture above).

Look at my lotions:


Eleven types of lotion.  All of them went into the basket except for this one:


If I smell like Wild Berry Tulips for the next three months, then so be it!  That's right people, I said so be it.

Oh, and those lotions above didn't include my self-tanning lotions.  (I am a white, white girl):


These were the winners:


Ready for the afters?





Much better!!!  It's kind of a hodgepodge of stuff and my baskets and containers don't match, but that's not the point.  The point is that it's functional and there is WAY LESS STUFF out on the counter.  All of my 'extra' products are hidden away in the baskets.  

It took maybe 2 hours last night and just 30 minutes this morning.  Well worth it!!  

Oh and the nicest part of this whole clean out was that I found two of my rings that I had been looking for in quite a while:



Next up?  The French cabinet.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...