Thursday, September 4, 2014

Peanut Butter Dog Treats



Do you have dogs?  Are you sick of buying them expensive dog treats?  

Make your own!!  It's really easy.  And fun.

Here's what you will need:

2.5 cups of flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup water
2 tbsp honey
1 egg
cookie cutters
rolling pin
baking sheet
cooking spray

***NOTE***
If your dog is allergic to flour, peanut butter, honey, egg, etc., then obviously do not make these.  :)

1.  Preheat oven to 350
2.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and egg.  Mix as well as you can.
3.  Stir in the peanut butter, water and honey.  Mix well.  I put on plastic rubber gloves and mixed it all together.  The dough should be firm and sticky.
4.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough using a rolling pin until it is about 1/4 inch thick (in other words...pretty thin).  I had to do this in three batches.  Then use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes.  I didn't have any cookie cutters, but on my way home from work, I stopped at a local kitchen shop and found these:


I paid $4.65 total for all five of them.  Aren't they cute?


Once you've cut the dough with the cookie cutters, gently pop out the shapes and place them on a cookie sheet with a little bit of cooking spray on it.

The treats do not rise much or spread out, so you can place them close together if you need to.

  

Bake them for 15 minutes.  It may be hard to tell if they're done because they don't really change color.  But they should not be mushy at all.

Here's the top:


And the bottom should be a little browner:


Once they've cooled, store them in an airtight container.


This recipe makes a lot....much more than what is shown here.  I counted 40+ small cookies (the hearts and small bones) and 30+ of the large cookies (the dogs, large bones, and fire hydrants).  It filled up two containers and one ziplock bag.  I had three cookie sheets full.

The verdict?

Watson and Hannah LOVED them.  

Beggars.


Hannah has a very sensitive stomach, so I'm hoping she does okay with these.  We won't know until tomorrow morning ha ha.

Confessions:
*I tried one of the small ones.  I was curious!  And it's all natural!  Anyways...they did not have much taste at all.  It kind of reminded me of REALLY dense honey wheat bread.  Ha.

*In the 4+ years that I have been married, I have never made cookies for my husband.  He pointed this out to me tonight as I spent my evening in the kitchen making cookies for the DOGS.  Ha.

I'll definitely make these again! 

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...