Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Random

*Did you know that London is one of the most expensive cities in the world?  Like…more expensive than Paris?  We are only staying 2 days and honestly I don’t think we could afford to stay longer than that.  Geez. 

*Sometimes after work I will run an errand or two.  I ALWAYS try to remember to take my work badge off or tuck it into my pocket when I go into public places.  Why?  Because I can’t tell you how many times I have been stopped at Target, Petsmart, the mall, etc. with this:  “Oh you work at Major Hospital?  Can I ask you a question?” and the person proceeds to pull out their medical bill from their purse (who carries these around anyways?  People just hoping to run into a random employee??) and then starts asking me questions about their bill.  I’m never rude and sometimes I always try to help, but mostly I can’t.  I politely tell them that I’m not in the Billing Dept. and direct them to the customer service number located on their bill.  Ugh.  I know I should have a better attitude about it, but really?    I AM NOT IN THE BILLING DEPARTMENT.  My favorite question?  “This says ‘THIS IS NOT A BILL’.  What does that mean?”  Um….it means IT’S NOT A BILL.  Yes, I know it’s confusing and I’m still not 100% sure why insurance companies send these out.  I just tell them to keep it for their records and wait for the real thing to come along (and believe me, it will).  
*The month of April is nutso, hence my lack of blogging.  Sorry.  It's been crazy.  May probably will be too.    
*A few days ago, the Apple IOS 8.3 update came out.  I updated my phone, and then my Target Cartwheel app wouldn’t work.  This happens sometimes.  Sometimes apps need a few days to catch up to update themselves after the general software update.  Anyways, I was AT Target, the app wasn’t working, but at least ¾ of the stuff in my cart would have been discounted on the app.  It was mostly Market Pantry (Target’s generic food brand), and Up & Up (Target’s generic ‘everything else’ brand).  Anyways, I asked the register clerk if there was a way that I could call customer service with my receipt  info to see if they could at least give me credit within the app of my purchases (the more you save, the more ‘spots’ open up in the app for your cartwheel items).  She said she wasn’t sure and so she called her manager over.  The manager said the only way to get me the discount was to manually type in the discount on all eligible items (about ¾ of my cart).  Now, if there were a line of people behind me, I wouldn’t have had them do this.  But Target was dead (I went on my lunch break) and they insisted it was no problem.  The clerk asked me how much the discount was on these items usually and I told her it was at least 5% off Market Pantry and Up & Up brands.  And the manager looks at the register clerk and says “give her 10% off just in case.”  !!!  Reason #46,798 why Target is the BEST.  They gave me 10% off most of my cart.  Then I got an additional 5% off for using my Redcard.  Target = great customer service.
*My most favorite band ever is Of Monsters and Men.

They are from Iceland.  There is just something about their music that is so DIFFERENT and it makes me want to go climb a mountain or something.  On Wikipedia, they are labeled as ‘indie folk pop’.  That’s probably accurate I guess.  The gal (Nanna) is the lead singer, although the guy (Raggi, the one to the right of Nanna sitting down) sings just as much as she does I think.  Their first album ‘My Head is an Animal’ was awesome.  It’s funny though, the song they’re known the most for (“Little Talks”) is my least favorite (the radio version anyways…they recorded a live album where they slowed it down and sang it practically without music and that was really cool).  But the rest of the album is great.
Their next album, ‘Beneath the Skin’ is going to be released on June 9th.  I cannot wait!  They’ve already released their first song from the album, Crystals, and it is amazing.  I downloaded it from iTunes immediately.  They are going on tour this summer, but nowhere near New Mexico, pooey.  I even looked on their website to see if I could catch them in Europe when we’re there, but the dates didn’t work out.  That’s how much I love these guys, I was willing to stalk them in Europe ha ha. 
If you’ve never heard any of their music, go to YouTube and search ‘The Secret Life of Walter Mitty trailer’.  One of their songs, ‘Dirty Paws’ was featured in the trailer:

*Have you seen ‘The Secret Life of Walter Mitty’?  If not, please stop what you are doing and go watch it.  It is a GREAT movie.  And if you hate Ben Stiller (a lot of people do I guess…I’ve always liked him though), watch it anyways.  This is not a typical Ben Stiller movie.  It’s just REALLY good.  AND a good portion of it was filmed in Iceland.  You won't be disappointed!
*That's all for now.  I have a talk tonight in French that I need to practice some more.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...