Saturday, September 21, 2013

Getting Organized - TV on DVD

This is actually an older project that I did, but I don't think I ever blogged about it.  I think I shared a picture one time, but that's all.

We have many, many DVDs.  Lots of movies, but you know this already because of my 'Movie Project' posts.  I blogged a long time ago (on my old blog) about how we saved some space on storing these movies.  The system we have in place works great and we've kept it up for sure.

Shortly after that I tackled our TV on DVD.  We own quite a few television shows on DVD.  I would say at least half of them are completed series...some 9 or 10 seasons each (Seinfeld, Friends, King of Queens, etc.)  Now, if you own even one series of TV, you know how much space it can take up - they come in big bulky boxes that are not uniform...each box is a different size, width, etc.  Even if you lined them up all nicely on a shelf they wouldn't look the greatest.  And for as many as we had, it would take at least an entire bookshelf.  (What's odd is that you would think with all of our TV and movies, we would be in front of the television all the time...but we're not.  We just don't go out much, ha ha)

Originally, I had thought about using the same 'Atlantic' movie sleeves that we use for our movies.  But it just wouldn't work...each sleeve holds only 2 DVDs, and some series have up to 6 discs per season (like Friends...and 10 seasons..that's 60 discs!).  That got way too pricey way too quick.  So I brainstormed other options and this is what I came up with:


Both the grey bins and the Memorex sleeves came from Target.  The sleeves were $4.99 per box (of 100), and I believe the grey bins were $6.99.

I made a label for each disc, and then filed them alphabetically.


I used white Avery address labels, and included the series name, and what season and disc it is.

Then I made dividers to identify each series.  I just cut down some colored scrapbook paper and printed a label with the logo of the series.



This system has been in place for over a year now, and I love it.  I was able to get rid of all of those bulky boxes and cut down on clutter.  This system takes up very little space, just one shelf of our little cabinet.



 The bottom shelf holds 3 extra bins, our 3D glasses and extra movie sleeves.  I also kept the 'insides' of the boxed sets (the little pamphlets that list the episodes) for each boxed set.  These are in the grey bin on the right along with the extra Memorex sleeves.

I'm on a roll so far during the 'summer-to-fall' transition with my organizing projects.  Next up?  My desk.  (yikes)

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...