Monday, August 3, 2015

Day 5 - Paris

When I woke up, I stepped out onto our terrace and snapped a couple of pictures: 




Way in the distance in the picture above is ‘La Defense’, or the business district of Paris.

Then we got on the train and met our friends, who had just arrived.  Once we found them, we told them about the Navigo pass which they found and purchased and we got back on the train so they could put their luggage away and meet our hosts.  Then we got back on the train and went back into Paris (see why those unlimited train passes were so helpful?)  Ha ha.
First thing we did was head to the Arc de Triumph and Champs E’lyses.  




We decided to forego walking up the bajillion stairs to the top.  Our friends were jetlagged and it was warm outside so we opted to have lunch instead.  Omelets and wine.  Wine with everything!  Especially when it’s cheaper than water.  I’m not kidding!
We walked along Champs E’lyses and gazed at all of the shops.  Then we came across Louis Vuitton.  

It was one of those moments where I saw it and stopped dead in my tracks.  And then immediately kept walking (because….Louis Vuitton?  Yowza) but my husband stopped me and said ‘just go in and look around’ and I told him that would be a bad idea and he kept encouraging me to do it.  So I did.  And I bought a wallet.  Even if I hadn’t have bought anything, it still was a fun experience.  Everyone that works there looks like they could be a supermodel (even the men) and they all wear white gloves all the time because of handling the bags and shoes.  When I asked to see the wallet (it was behind a glass case of course), they brought it out and laid it out on a silk cloth and they looked like Price is Right models ha ha.  Oh, and I had THREE people helping me.  THREE.  Just for me.  And then once I bought the wallet, they wrapped it in a cloth bag, then put it in a box that was actually a little drawer, then put the box in a bag.
Security is insane there too.  They have these guys that look like the secret service at every entrance door (I think there are 3 entrances), plus they are all walking around with their ear pieces on.
Anyways, it was a fun experience.  And I love my wallet.
After that, more walking.  And then went back to the Eiffel Tower (we just gravitated towards it!).  But before that, we stopped at a market and got some wine and cheese and bread and found a shady spot for a picnic and a nap.  I’m the only one that didn’t fall asleep.  It was very lovely though.  






Then we found a restaurant for some coffee and to use the restroom and called it an evening.


20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...