Saturday, August 8, 2015

What We Bought

We did some shopping during our trip, but not anything major.  We didn’t have a specific ‘shopping’ day.  As we were walking around, if we saw a shop that looked interesting, we ducked inside to check it out. 
We each have certain things that we like to buy while visiting someplace new.  For me it’s books about the places I go, especially ones with a lot of pictures.  For my husband, it’s mugs from Starbucks for whatever city he’s in, and art.

We like useful ‘souvenirs’.  We usually stay away from the typical souvenir shops with the little trinkets (keychains, magnets, etc.).  We like more specialized shops.
In London, I bought two books.  One about the Tower of London, and one called The Death of Kings (a medical history of the Kings and Queens of England).  It’s very morbid and gross and I love it! (sorry these are sideways)




In Paris, I got a wallet from Louis Vuitton.  I got it on the Champs E’lyses and it was made in France (of course).  When we were in Montmartre, I picked up scarves for the ladies in my family (and myself).  We also bought a small painting from an artist in Montmartre.  It was a fun experience.  We only talked to him in French.  He told us that he lives in Normandy (where he gets his inspiration) and comes to Paris every other week to sell his work.  The painting is on canvas but is currently at the frame shop getting framed…I will post a picture of it when it’s done.  It’s very Monet-like…impressionist.  The colors are very pretty.
I also bought a book from the used booksellers along the Seine, and my husband bought another small painting on canvas (also being framed).


I bought a book about the Rodin Museum.

And I bought a travel wallet.  I love it!  It has a section for documents, passports, and tickets (‘billets’).  It came in sooo useful for the rest of our trip.  I got it at this place that kind of reminded me of Pier One and World Market.  They had some really cool stuff.


And….I think that was it for France.
In Belgium, we got a few more things.  In Bruges, I got a book (on Bruges).  



We got a heavy bottle opener.  And a Delirium Tremens beer glass.  

We picked up some chocolate for my boss, Josh’s co-workers, and our favorite French-Canadian couple that live here in ABQ (who specifically asked if we would bring them some Belgian chocolate).  And…I think that’s it.  Of course, we were given a ton of little gifts from the brothers and sisters there.  Magnets, keychains, lace (!), chocolate, tract holders, bookmarks, pins, pens, little miniature witnessing carts, earrings, etc.  So many cute things!
I looked for more books, but had a hard time finding them.  So I think I’m just going to go online and get them.  I still need a book on London and Belgium.  I’d like to find some specific books too…Ghent and Loppem (and possibly Brussels), but I may have a hard time finding those.  I also would like to find a book on Amsterdam, because I didn’t get one when I was there in 2009.  We’ll see.  I didn’t need to buy books this time on the Louvre, Versailles and Paris because I had picked those up the last time I was there.
It’s probably silly to buy heavy books as souvenirs, but I love my book collection of the places I’ve been.  I look through them a lot!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...