Saturday, August 8, 2015

Misc. Europe

*Netflix streaming in Europe has different shows.  Like Big Bang Theory.  Every night, hubs and I would prop up my laptop and watch Big Bang theory on streaming Netflix.  However, it’s not available on Netflix here in the states.  Also, some shows are a bit different.  Like they have ‘House’ and it’s the exact same episodes, but it’s called ‘Dr. House’. 
*In Europe, public bathrooms are few and far between.  The only places required to have public bathrooms are restaurants.  There are some paid restrooms like in train stations (like .50 to .70 usually) and they are quite clean (we used them more than once).  But it’s not like you can run to a gas station or run to Target or Walgreens to use the bathroom.  I cannot tell you how many times one of us said “I have to go to the bathroom, is anyone hungry?”.  Ha ha.  Because we knew by eating we could use the restroom.  And the bathrooms are all downstairs in the basement.  And about 50% of the time they are unisex.  Yikes.   
*The Euro is funny.  The lowest ‘paper’ money is a $5.  There’s a $1 coin and a $2 coin.  Well, we would withdraw money and when we paid for something would only use the paper money and just kind of forget about the change, because that’s what we do at home.  Our U.S. change usually just goes into our change jar (and forgotten about).  We realized on our way to Belgium we had almost $40 worth of change (mostly the $1 and $2 coins).  We used a lot of it to tip the maids every day in our hotel room, but then we would accumulate more throughout the week.  So then at the airport on our last day there, we had like $25 in change still.  So I marched up to a food shop to get us some breakfast and the bill came to $20.10 and I plunked down all of my change.  I was only embarrassed for about 10 seconds.  The guy counted it all quickly and didn’t make a big deal about it.  I apologized but he didn’t seem to care at all.  Money is money, right?  We ended up with less than $5 in euros to bring home.  Not bad!

*If you speak even a LITTLE French, it makes all the difference in the world in how you are treated there.  The French people were incredibly nice to all of us.  In fact, we thought the people there were friendlier than the people in London.  And don't even get me started on Belgium...the friendliest people EVER!!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...