Saturday, August 8, 2015

Day 17 - Travel Home

Major travel day.
We had completely packed the night before.  We had ordered a cab to pick us up at 6:30 a.m. to drop us off at the train station.  We had to get from Ghent to the Brussels airport.  Fortunately, we had already gotten our train tickets (the same day we went to Bruges) so getting through the station was pretty stress free.

The Brussels airport was a bit confusing, but we got it figured out.  By the time we got there we had a little bit less than 3 hours.  And by the time we got to our gate, we had maybe 30 minutes.  Everything went pretty smoothly.

We tried to get an upgrade again, but they didn’t have any available.  But that’s okay.  We had a window and an aisle seat right next to each other, so at least that worked out and I didn’t have to be in the middle.  It was a pleasant flight and it actually went really fast (which is amazing for 9+ hours!).  I watched ‘The Goldbergs’.  It was one of the selections on the little TV on the seatback in front of me, but it was season 2.  It was still super funny.  My husband watched the new Avengers movie.
Then we arrived in Atlanta, and my stress level hit the roof.
We had about 2 hours before our next flight.  By the time we exited the plane, we were shuffled to one line.  And then another line.  And then another line.  Finally, we were able to scan our passports using the self-serve machines, where you also have to get your picture taken.  Then they print off a receipt with your picture on it.
Then we stood in another line to hand over our receipts (the ones with our picture on them).
Then we stood in another line to go through immigration/customs (this is where they stamp your passport and allow you back into the U.S.A. officially).
Then we had to go to the baggage claim and pick up our bags (I’m not kidding).
Then we had to stand in another line to drop our bags off to be put on the right plane (I will never understand this step).
Then we had to go through another line to go through security again.
Then, FINALLY we were able to make it to our gate.  By the time we got to our gate, we had about 20 minutes until boarding time.  I ran over to a little shop to get us some snacks because we were STARVING. 
I was so relieved to finally be on that plane.  I was convinced that we were going to miss our flight.  It was about a 3 hour flight home.  I dozed off and on.
We were exhausted, but finally made it home!

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...