Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Surgery


I had surgery February 12th.  It was scheduled at 2:45, but my surgeon was running late, so I didn't have it until 5:00.  It was a long wait.  But it all went very, very well.  I had a laparoscopic robot assisted hysterectomy.  So basically, my surgeon removed my uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes, and a cyst on my ovary.  I was able to keep both of my ovaries, which I was VERY happy about.  I won't have to deal with hormone replacement therapy.

I had 4 incisions (well...externally...by the way, some of this may be TMI, but this is my diary of sorts so....oh well).  One of the incisions is in my belly button (which they put the camera in).  I have one incision on my left side and two on my right.  And one on the inside.  They used the robot to disconnect everything inside, then they pulled out my uterus through...well, use your imagination.  

When I woke up I wasn't in any pain (thanks to the meds), then they wheeled me to my recovery room, where I stayed the night.

The two biggest issues I had after surgery really had nothing to do with the procedure.  The first was my catheter, which they put in AFTER I was under general anesthesia.  It was HORRIBLE.  I felt like my bladder was ready to burst.  Which I could not understand because the whole point of a catheter is to keep your bladder empty.  It's all I could focus on.  I did not get any sleep that night, because honestly, who can sleep with the feeling of a full bladder?!?

And the next issue was the gas.  Sorry.  But anytime they do laparoscopic abdominal surgery, they fill up your abdomen with carbon dioxide gas so that they have better visualization of your organs.  Well....when I got out of surgery I looked as if I was about 9 months pregnant.  And my abdomen was as hard as a rock.  

Well, the gas has to come out somehow.  And it did.  But VERY slowly.  So the first two days I was extremely uncomfortable.  I didn't get much sleep after I got home for the first two nights.

But it got MUCH better.  Once I got rid of the gas and all of the water they pump into you via the IV, I felt way better and was able to get comfortable and get some sleep.

So I am doing VERY well.  I am taking it easy and letting my body heal.  My pain is manageable.  In fact, for the past two days I've taken just Advil.  Nothing else.  My incisions are healing nicely (although they still look gross).  I am watching what I lift (nothing heavier than a gallon of milk).  Drinking plenty of water.  

And, most importantly, I FEEL BETTER.  No more pain from years of endometriosis and fibroids.  No more periods!  Ever!  

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...