Friday, January 31, 2020

January Reads (11)




Two stars:           eh, it was okay
Three stars:        liked it
Four stars:          really, really liked it
Five stars:          loved it

1-Star (0)

2-Star (0)

3-Star (4)
***The Overdue Life of Amy Byler (Fiction, K. Harms)
I started reading this in San Francisco last month and then life happened and I finally picked it back up again.  It’s a little fluffy and there were not nearly enough specific book references for my taste, but it was still an enjoyable read.

***The Island Of Sea Women (Fiction, L. See)
A tragic piece of historical fiction.  It was a bit too long for me and dragged a lot in the middle.

***The Dry (Fiction, J. Harper)
I think I need to READ this one instead of listening to it.  Because I actually really liked it.  But I was listening at work and had a lot going on and I think I missed a lot.  Plus, I read that there’s a lot of flashbacks that you only really know are flashbacks by the italicized lettering in the book.  Which would explain why I was confused a lot.  I need a do-over!

***The Vile Village (Fiction, L. Snicket) Book #7
This one was pretty dark.  Still funny though.

4-Star (4)
****The Stationery Shop (Fiction, M. Kamali)
This was a slow read, but definitely worth it.

****The Austere Academy (Fiction, L. Snicket) Book #5
These never disappoint, ESPECIALLY on audio.

****The Ersatz Elevator (Fiction, L. Snicket) Book #6
Laugh-out-loud funny.

****American Dirt (FICTION, Jeanine Cummins)
Oh the controversy.  SO MUCH controversy surrounding this book.  A lot of people love it, a lot of people hate it.  And I knew that going in.  I had read all the reviews on Goodreads and yes, I still chose to read this book.  And I can see both sides.

It is the story of Lydia and her son Luca who need to leave Acapulco, Mexico, after their entire family is slaughtered by the Cartel (this is not a spoiler, this is mentioned on the book jacket).  This happens in the first chapter.

Lydia and Luca are scared for their life, so their goal is to get to the United States.  They are not migrating to the U.S. because they want a ‘better life’, they are migrating because they are actually on the run from someone.

The controversy:  the author, Jeanine Cummins, is not Mexican.  She is Latinx, as she was born in Spain and also had a Puerto Rican grandmother.  She also married an undocumented Irish immigrant.  If you read her author’s note, she discusses the EXTENSIVE research she did for years before writing this book.

I don’t think that someone has to personally experience something to write about it.  Did every author that wrote about World War II, the holocaust, PTSD, etc. personally experience those things?  No.  And to think that that is a requirement for writing a FICTION novel is ridiculous to me.  But, the author MUST do extensive research.  Last year I read a fiction novel about a woman married to a veteran who had PTSD.  IT was horribly executed.  The author appeared to do ZERO research about what it’s like to live with someone with military PTSD.  Did I think the author needed to be in that exact situation and be married to a veteran with PTSD in order to accurately write about it?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Did I think she should have done extensive research and talked/interviewed multiple wives with PTSD husbands before she wrote the book?  YES YES YES.

Colson Whitehead stated, ‘you can write about anything, just don’t screw it up.’  The author states in her author’s note, “I do know Luca and Lydia.  I know their lives.  Because I know grief.  I know trauma.  Yes, Luca and his Mami happen to be Mexican, but they could be anyone.  They could be Syrian or Romanian or Haitian.  They are human beings.”  I’ve read loads of reviews on this book by people of all nationalities.  Some loved it, some hated it, some refused to read it.  The ‘loved it’ was a mix of people.  White, Mexican (yup), African American, and others.

This book will make you uncomfortable and it is a difficult read.  It made me realize how much I don’t know about immigration issues, especially living in a border state.  I thought about it ALL DAY when I wasn’t at home reading it at night.  I took it with me everywhere in case I had an extra 5 or 10 minutes to spare.  The writing is excellent.  The ONLY reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because there were a few slow parts in the middle of the book.

****The Hostile Hospital (Fiction, L. Snicket) Book #8
So funny.

5-Star (2)
*****How Not to Die (Non-Fiction, M. Greger)
Hands down the best book on nutrition I’ve ever read.  I couldn’t put it down!

*****Such a Fun Age (Fiction, K. Reid)
It’s hard to believe this is her debut novel.  I FLEW through this book.  It reads like a ‘light’ book, but tackles some extremely important topics.  Phenomenal.


Total Books Read: 11 (10 Fiction, 1 Non-Fiction)

DNF (2):
Night of Miracles (Fiction, E. Berg) – I was hoping I would like this one, because it is a bit of a follow-up to ‘The Story of Arthur Trulove’, but there was WAYYYYY to many characters and intertwining stories for me to keep paying attention.

Dear Edward (Fiction) – this one got weird REALLY quickly.  I even flipped through it to see if maybe it was an isolated incident, and nope.  Bummer.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...