Monday, December 2, 2019

November Reads (4)




Two stars:          eh, it was okay
Three stars:       liked it
Four stars:         really, really liked it
Five stars:          absolutely loved it

1-Star (0)

2-Star (1)
**A Touch of Stardust (Fiction, K. Alcott)
Sigh.  Great concept, poor execution.  And an extremely unlikable main character.

3-Star (1)
***Summer of ’69 (Fiction, E. Hillenbrand)
This was a super quick read.  A little too beachy and tidy for my taste, but I still enjoyed it.

4-Star (0)

5-Star (2)
*****The Family Upstairs (Fiction, L. Jewell)
3 dysfunctional families in one household.  This book is suspenseful and creepy but not in way that will give you nightmares.  More in a way that will make you think, and you’ll keep thinking about it long after you’ve finished reading.

*****Scythe (Ficion, YA, N. Shusterman)
I have such an appreciation for authors who have the skills and creativity to write a book so completely original and unbelievable (in a good way).  I had a hard time putting this one down.  I loved these imperfect young characters who were forced to grow up way faster than they should have and then trained to do the unimaginable.  Well done.  (This book is pretty dark and disturbing, so if that bothers you, stay away from this one).

Total Books Read: 4 (4 Fiction, 0 Non-Fiction)

DNF (3):
The Invisible Bridge – I gave it 8 chapters (it’s a large book…700+ pages) and I just kept waiting for something to happen!  It’s supposed to be really good.  But I just didn’t have the patience.  I don’t have an issue with long books, as long as something is happening!  

The Story that Cannot Be Told – this is a Young Reader, although I think it’s more appropriate for YA.  It just got kind of weird and was VERY long winded (especially for a Young Reader book!).  Apparently I’m definitely the minority here because it currently has a 4.55 rating on Goodreads (which is exceptional).  Oh well.

1st to Die – This was the first book in the Women’s Murder Club series by James Patterson.  I was not a fan of the main character and figured that I didn’t want to read 20-something more books about her ha ha.

20 Years of Reading

20 years.  TWENTY YEARS OF READING. Okay, so technically this isn’t true.  I’ve been reading since I was 5.  So (here’s my age)…I’ve been re...